Deriving tensor transformation laws

So, to answer your question, yes, you can write the transformation of the tensor in the way you did in eq. 3 and it is equivalent to eq. 4.
Daniel_C
TL;DR Summary
I'm attempting to understand how the definition of a tensor in terms of how it transforms arises from demanding invariance of the tensor when we define it as a multilinear map
Hi, I'm worried I've got a grave misunderstanding. Also, throughout this post, a prime mark (') will indicate the transformed versions of my tensor, coordinates, etc.

I'm going to define a tensor.

$$T^\mu_\nu \partial_\mu \otimes dx^\nu$$

Now I'd like to investigate how the tensor transforms under an arbitrary coordinate transformation where I require that the tensor is invariant under the coordinate transformation. In order to understand how partial-mu transforms, I'm going to apply the chain rule for partial derivatives.

$$\begin{equation} \partial'_\alpha = \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^\alpha} = \frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha}\partial_\mu \end{equation}$$

Similarly, I can write down how the basis one-forms transform.

$$\begin{equation} dx'^\alpha = \frac{\partial x'^\alpha}{\partial x^\mu} dx^\mu \end{equation}$$

Therefore, the basis of my tensor transforms like this:

$$\begin{equation} T'^\alpha_\beta \partial'_\alpha \otimes dx'^\beta = T^\mu_\nu \frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha} \partial_\mu \otimes \frac{\partial x'^\alpha}{\partial x^\mu} dx^\nu \end{equation}$$

Which mirrors my more familiar definition of a tensor in terms of how it's components transform:

$$\begin{equation} T'^\alpha_\beta = \frac{\partial x'^\alpha}{\partial x^\mu}\frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta} T^\mu_\nu \end{equation}$$

Is it correct to write down the transformation of the tensor in the way I did in equation (3)? Is this equivalent to equation (4)?

Please help me if I've had a misunderstanding. Thank you very much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel_C said:
Summary: I'm attempting to understand how the definition of a tensor in terms of how it transforms arises from demanding invariance of the tensor when we define it as a multilinear map

Is it correct to write down the transformation of the tensor in the way I did in equation (3)? Is this equivalent to equation (4)?
Yes. Yes (the base tensors ##\partial_\mu \otimes dx^\nu## form a complete and linearly independent basis).

Edit: Also note that the tensor product is linear and that the partial derivatives are just numbers that you can move out of it.

Orodruin said:
Yes. Yes (the base tensors ##\partial_\mu \otimes dx^\nu## form a complete and linearly independent basis).

Edit: Also note that the tensor product is linear and that the partial derivatives are just numbers that you can move out of it.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Daniel_C said:
Therefore, the basis of my tensor transforms like this:

$$T'^\alpha_\beta \partial'_\alpha \otimes dx'^\beta = T^\mu_\nu \frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha} \partial_\mu \otimes \frac{\partial x'^\alpha}{\partial x^\mu} dx^\nu$$...
Note that the RHS of your equation 3 is not a valid expression as you have four ##\mu## indices. You need to change either the inner two ##\mu##’s or the outer two for this to make sense. But even then, if you’re wanting to use equations 1 and 2 and the fact that a tensor remains the same despite a change in basis in order to derive eq. 4, then this might be a more intuitive approach:
$$
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathbf T = T^{\bar \alpha}_{\bar \beta} ~ \partial_{\bar \alpha} \otimes dx^{\bar \beta} & = T^{\bar \alpha}_{\bar \beta} (\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial \bar x^{\bar \alpha}} \partial_\mu ) \otimes (\frac{\partial \bar x^{\bar \beta}}{\partial x^\nu} dx^\nu) \\
& = (T^{\bar \alpha}_{\bar \beta} \frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial \bar x^{\bar \alpha}} \frac{\partial \bar x^{\bar \beta}}{\partial x^\nu}) \partial_\mu \otimes dx^\nu
\end{split} \tag{5}
\end{equation*}
$$And because ##\mathbf T## is unchanged by a change in basis, we can say that
$$T^{\bar \alpha}_{\bar \beta} ~ \partial_{\bar \alpha} \otimes dx^{\bar \beta} = T^\mu_\nu ~ \partial_\mu \otimes dx^\nu$$
And therefore
$$T^\mu_\nu = T^{\bar \alpha}_{\bar \beta} \frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial \bar x^{\bar \alpha}} \frac{\partial \bar x^{\bar \beta}}{\partial x^\nu}$$
We can rearrange like we did in the 2nd line of eq. 5 precisely because of the reason @Orodruin gave in the edit of his post.

Likes Orodruin

1. What are tensor transformation laws?

Tensor transformation laws are mathematical rules that describe how the components of a tensor change when the coordinate system used to describe it is rotated or transformed. They are essential for understanding how tensors behave in different frames of reference.

2. Why is it important to derive tensor transformation laws?

Deriving tensor transformation laws allows us to understand how tensors change in different coordinate systems, which is crucial in many fields of science and engineering. It also helps us to make accurate calculations and predictions when dealing with tensors.

3. How are tensor transformation laws derived?

Tensor transformation laws are derived using the principles of linear algebra and multivariable calculus. The process involves manipulating the components of a tensor in one coordinate system and expressing them in terms of the components in another coordinate system.

4. What is the role of tensors in physics?

Tensors play a crucial role in physics as they are used to describe physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and stress. They are also used in the formulation of many physical laws and equations, including Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. Can tensor transformation laws be applied to all types of tensors?

Yes, tensor transformation laws can be applied to all types of tensors, including scalars, vectors, and higher-order tensors. However, the specific transformation rules may differ depending on the type of tensor and the coordinate system being used.