Deriving the Callan-Gross Relation via the Parton Model

In summary: Q^2}\left(p^\mu p^\nu+\frac{q^\mu p^\nu}{Q^2}\right)\right]\\&=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i\left[-g^{\mu\nu}+\frac{q^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}+\frac{4}{Q^2}p^\mu p^\nu+\frac{4}{Q^2}q^\mu p^\nu\right]\\&=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i\left[-g^{\mu\nu}+\frac{q^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}+\frac{
weningth
I want to derive the Callan-Gross relation from the parton model but I am having some problems obtaining the textbook result. I am following M.D. Schwartz: Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model (pp.672, 675, 678).

Starting from the hard scattering coefficient obtained from the partonic scattering amplitude for [itex]\gamma^\ast q_i\rightarrow q_i[/itex] (eq. 32.32),
$$\hat{W}^{\mu\nu}(z,Q^2)=2\pi Q^2_i\delta(1-z)\left[A^{\mu\nu}+\frac{4z}{Q^2}B^{\mu\nu}\right],$$
where [itex]A^{\mu\nu}:=-g^{\mu\nu}+\frac{q^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}[/itex], [itex]B^{\mu\nu}:=\left(p^\mu+\frac{pq}{Q^2}q^\mu\right)\left(p^\nu+\frac{pq}{Q^2}q^\nu\right)[/itex], and the convolution formula for the hardonic tensor [itex]W^{\mu\nu}(x,Q^2)[/itex] obtained from factorisation, we arrive at
\begin{align*}
W^{\mu\nu}(x,Q^2)
&=2\pi\int^1_x\frac{d\xi}{\xi}\sum_if_i(\xi)Q^2_i\delta(1-\frac{x}{\xi})\left[A^{\mu\nu}+\frac{4x}{Q^2\xi}B^{\mu\nu}\right]\\
&=2\pi\int^1_xd\xi\sum_if_i(\xi)Q^2_i\delta(\xi-x)\left[A^{\mu\nu}+\frac{4x}{Q^2\xi}B^{\mu\nu}\right]\\
&=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i\left[A^{\mu\nu}+\frac{4}{Q^2}B^{\mu\nu}\right],\end{align*}
such that [itex]W_1(x,Q^2)=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i=\frac{Q^2}{4}W_2(x,Q^2)[/itex].

Now, the textbook says that the result should be [itex]W_1(x,Q^2)=\frac{Q^2}{4x^2}W_2(x,Q^2)[/itex] (eq. 32.23, 32.24). Did I make a mistake somewhere in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your work and question. It seems like you have made a mistake in your final step where you equate the integrals. The correct result should be:

W^{\mu\nu}(x,Q^2)
&=2\pi\int^1_x\frac{d\xi}{\xi}\sum_if_i(\xi)Q^2_i\delta(1-\frac{x}{\xi})\left[A^{\mu\nu}+\frac{4x}{Q^2\xi}B^{\mu\nu}\right]\\
&=2\pi\int^1_xd\xi\sum_if_i(\xi)Q^2_i\delta(\xi-x)\left[A^{\mu\nu}+\frac{4x}{Q^2\xi}B^{\mu\nu}\right]\\
&=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i\left[A^{\mu\nu}+\frac{4}{Q^2}B^{\mu\nu}\right],\end{align*}

However, when you substitute the expressions for A^{\mu\nu} and B^{\mu\nu}, you should get:

W^{\mu\nu}(x,Q^2)
&=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i\left[-g^{\mu\nu}+\frac{q^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}+\frac{4}{Q^2}\left(p^\mu p^\nu+\frac{p^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}+\frac{q^\mu p^\nu}{Q^2}+\frac{q^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}\right)\right]\\
&=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i\left[-g^{\mu\nu}+\frac{q^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}+\frac{4}{Q^2}\left(p^\mu p^\nu+\frac{2p^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}+\frac{q^\mu p^\nu}{Q^2}\right)\right]\\
&=2\pi\sum_if_i(x)Q^2_i\left[-g^{\mu\nu}+\frac{q^\mu q^\nu}{Q^2}

1. What is the Callan-Gross Relation?

The Callan-Gross Relation is a fundamental result in quantum chromodynamics (QCD) that relates the electromagnetic and weak interaction form factors of a nucleon. It was first derived by physicists Curtis Callan and David Gross in 1969 using the parton model.

2. What is the Parton Model?

The Parton Model is a theoretical framework that describes the structure of hadrons (such as protons and neutrons) in terms of point-like constituents called partons. It was developed in the 1960s to explain the deep inelastic scattering experiments that were being conducted at the time.

3. How is the Callan-Gross Relation derived via the Parton Model?

The Callan-Gross Relation is derived by considering the scattering of electrons off of nucleons in the Parton Model. By analyzing the behavior of the partons and their interactions with the electrons, the relation between the electromagnetic and weak form factors can be derived.

4. What is the significance of the Callan-Gross Relation?

The Callan-Gross Relation is significant because it provides a strong theoretical foundation for understanding the structure of hadrons and the behavior of their constituents. It has also been experimentally verified and is an important tool for studying the strong nuclear force and the nature of quarks and gluons.

5. How does the Callan-Gross Relation impact our understanding of particle physics?

The Callan-Gross Relation is a key result in the field of particle physics and has greatly contributed to our understanding of the fundamental interactions and structure of matter. It has also been used to make predictions and test the validity of various theories, such as QCD and the Standard Model of particle physics.