Deriving the Kubo Formula for Viscosity in Thermal Relativistic QFT

In summary, the conversation is about finding a derivation of the Kubo formula for viscosity, which is given by the equation: $$\eta=\lim_{\omega\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{2\omega}\int dt dx\langle[T_{xy}(t,x),T_{xy}(0,0)]\rangle,$$where $T_{xy}$ is a component of the stress-energy tensor. The formula is important and can be found in the paper "Finite-temperature field theory" by J. Kapusta and C. Gale. However, the conversation also mentions a more complicated derivation in another paper, and the speaker is asking if someone knows of a simpler derivation before they dive into the more complex one.
Kurret
I am looking for a derivation of the following formula
$$
\eta=\lim_{\omega\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{2\omega}\int dt dx\langle[T_{xy}(t,x),T_{xy}(0,0)]\rangle,
$$
where $T_{xy}$ is a component of the stress-energy tensor. This is claimed in for instance https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0405231.pdf. There seems to be a derivation in https://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.7021.pdf, but it seems overly complicated and involved extra features. So before I dig into that paper to try to understand it, I would like to ask if someone knows a simple derivation of the above Kubo formula for the viscosity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Kubo formulae are very important. I recommend to first look at the usual many-body approach before using special models like AdS/CFT ;-)). It's linear-response theory. For thermal relativistic QFT you find a nice treatment in

J. Kapusta, C. Gale, Finite-temperature field theory, Cambridge University Press

vanhees71 said:
The Kubo formulae are very important. I recommend to first look at the usual many-body approach before using special models like AdS/CFT ;-)). It's linear-response theory. For thermal relativistic QFT you find a nice treatment in

J. Kapusta, C. Gale, Finite-temperature field theory, Cambridge University Press
Actually the paper I referred to just applies the Kubo formula in an AdS/CFT context, but they don't derive it (it just happened to be the place where I saw it). I am interested in a derivation of this formula indeed using standard linear response theory (nothing to do with AdS/CFT). Thanks for the reference, I will have a look.

1. What is Kubos formula for viscosity?

The Kubos formula for viscosity, also known as the Kubos formula for dynamic viscosity, is an equation that relates the dynamic viscosity of a fluid to its density and average molecular speed. It was developed by Japanese scientist Ryogo Kubo in the mid-20th century.

2. How is Kubos formula for viscosity derived?

The Kubos formula for viscosity is derived using statistical mechanics, which involves considering the behavior of individual molecules in a fluid and then averaging their properties at a macroscopic level. This approach allows for a deeper understanding of how viscosity is related to the molecular properties of a fluid.

3. What is the significance of Kubos formula for viscosity?

The Kubos formula for viscosity is significant because it provides a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of fluids on a molecular level. It is also a useful tool in many fields, such as engineering and chemistry, where the viscosity of a fluid is an important factor in designing and predicting the performance of various systems.

4. How accurate is Kubos formula for viscosity?

The Kubos formula for viscosity is a theoretical equation and its accuracy depends on the assumptions and approximations made in its derivation. In general, it provides a good estimate of dynamic viscosity for many fluids, but may not be accurate for more complex fluids or at extreme temperatures and pressures.

5. Can Kubos formula for viscosity be applied to all types of fluids?

The Kubos formula for viscosity is applicable to a wide range of fluids, including gases, liquids, and even some solids. However, its accuracy may vary for different types of fluids, and alternative equations may need to be used for more complex fluids or under extreme conditions.