Deriving the standard normal distribution

In summary, to calculate the joint distribution of random variables A and R, you can use the PDF method and the Jacobian, and observe that the PDF N is that of a normal random variable with zero mean and variance ##\sigma^2=\frac{1}{2K}##. This leads to the formula for the constant factor C in the joint distribution AR_PDF(a,r) as ##C=\sqrt\frac{2K}{2\pi}##. You can also think of the standard normal distribution as the joint distribution of n independent 1-dimensional standard normal random variables, which translates to the formula (2π)-n/2 e-r2/2 for the n-dimensional probability density function.
rabbed
I've calculated the joint distribution, XY_PDF(x,y) of random
variables X and Y (both coming from a distribution N(n) = C*e^(-K*n^2)).

I use XY_PDF(x,y) to calculate the joint distribution AR_PDF(a,r)
of the random variables A (angle) and R (radius), with the PDF
method and the Jacobian.

Since AR_PDF(a,r) = A_PDF(a)*R_PDF(r) and I want A_PDF(a) = 1/(2*pi),
I can find that C = 1/(2*pi)^(1/2) in N(n), since the other factors in
AR_PDF(a,r) calculated from XY_PDF(x,y) are related to R.

If I do the same in 3D (using the longitude/latitude/radius distributions
for producing a uniform surface distribution), I get C = 1/(2*pi)^(1/3)
after discarding the factors related to the longitude distribution and the
radius distribution.

The correct answer (for a multivariate gaussian) should be 1/(2*pi)^(1/2)
here also, right?

Is my reasoning to find this constant C wrong? Is there a better way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to perform the Cartesian to Polar transformation to calculate C. Just observe that the pdf N is that of a normal random variable with zero mean and variance ##\sigma^2=\frac{1}{2K}##. Then use the formula for a normal distribution to conclude that
$$C=\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}=\sqrt\frac{2K}{2\pi}$$
The formula you calculated above is missing the factor ##\sqrt{2K}##.

Is there no way to derive the standard normal distribution (not the normal distribution with concepts like mean and variance) from just basic knowledge of:
- The Jacobian
- How to calculate one joint distribution from another joint distribution using the PDF method
- Random vectors in 2D/3D (deriving the distributions of independent variables (polar/spherical coordinates) to get a uniform surface distribution by calculating the joint distribution of their dependent cartesian coordinates)
- Isotropy, wanting another kind of random vector by letting the cartesian coordinates be independent by coming from the same unknown distribution, N, as the radius

For a standard normal distribution in n dimensional Euclidean space Rn, I like to think of it just as the joint distribution of n independent 1-dimensional standard normal random variables. As such, its n-dimensional probability density function is just the product

(1/√(2π)) e-x12/2 ⋅ ... ⋅ (1/√(2π)) e-xn2/2

which is

(2π)-n/2 e-(x12 + ... + xn2)/2

or in other words

(2π)-n/2 e-r2/2,

where r is the distance from the origin in Euclidean n-space Rn.

I know this doesn't answer all parts of your question, but it's one easy way to remember the constant factor occurring in the n-dimensional standard normal density.

Thanks, zinq

1. What is the standard normal distribution?

The standard normal distribution is a probability distribution that is often used in statistics and data analysis. It is a specific type of normal distribution with a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1. It is also known as the z-distribution.

2. How is the standard normal distribution derived?

The standard normal distribution is derived from the general normal distribution by standardizing the data with the formula z = (x - μ) / σ, where z is the standardized value, x is the raw score, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation. This process is known as standardization and results in the standard normal distribution with a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.

3. Why is the standard normal distribution important?

The standard normal distribution is important because it allows us to compare and analyze data that is in different units or scales. It is also the basis for many statistical tests and calculations, such as the z-test and the calculation of p-values. Additionally, many real-world phenomena follow a normal distribution, so understanding the standard normal distribution can help us make predictions and draw conclusions about these phenomena.

4. What is the significance of the 68-95-99.7 rule in the standard normal distribution?

The 68-95-99.7 rule, also known as the empirical rule, states that in a normal distribution, approximately 68% of the data falls within 1 standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within 2 standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within 3 standard deviations. This rule is important because it allows us to make quick and rough estimates about the spread of data in a normal distribution without having to perform calculations.

5. How is the standard normal distribution used in hypothesis testing?

The standard normal distribution is used in hypothesis testing by converting the test statistic into a z-score, which is then compared to the critical value from the standard normal distribution. If the z-score falls within the critical region, we reject the null hypothesis. This allows us to make inferences about the population based on a sample of data.