Deriving the Wassiljewa mixture model equation

In summary, the conversation was about deriving the Wassiljewa mixture model equation for a binary solution. The goal was to find the expression gE for excess g, which is added to gIS to predict the g for a real solution. The speaker was stuck and asked for help, and the other person suggested setting x1 and x2 to specific values to determine the unknown constants. It was also mentioned that s has to be equal to 1.
George26
Homework Statement
Derive the Wassiljewa mixture model equation for a binary mixture.
Relevant Equations
x1+x2 =1
Hello,

I'm in the process of deriving the Wassiljewa mixture model equation for a binary solution. I have to find an expression gE which represents the excess g term which is added to gIS, the ideal solution, to predict the g for a real solution. I have gotten up to a point but now I'm stuck.

I do realize that
  • Setting x1 = 1 and x2 = 0 gives g#(C, x1=1) = c11=g10
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Wassiljewa_derivation.pdf
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you already wrote the equation for excess g at the outset. What am I missing?

Hello,

I'm aiming for the form in the image attached. I'm unsure of how to get there with what I currently have.

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    1.4 KB · Views: 135
So, you are starting with
1618067221405.png

And you are trying to find the values of r and s that lead to the form of ##g^E## that you showed at the beginning of the post?

What about something like this: In both expressions, let $$x_1=0.5+\delta$$and $$x_2=0.5-\delta$$Then set the two functions equal to one another at ##\delta=0## and set as many derivatives with respect to ##\delta## at ##\delta=0## as necessary to determine all the unknown constants.

I think that s has to be equal to 1.

1. What is the Wassiljewa mixture model equation?

The Wassiljewa mixture model equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between the concentration of a chemical species and its activity in a mixture. It is often used in the field of physical chemistry to calculate the activity coefficients of different components in a solution.

2. How is the Wassiljewa mixture model equation derived?

The Wassiljewa mixture model equation is derived using the Gibbs-Duhem equation, which relates the changes in the chemical potential of a component to changes in the composition of a mixture. This equation is then integrated to obtain the final Wassiljewa equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the Wassiljewa mixture model equation?

The Wassiljewa mixture model equation assumes that the components in the mixture are in thermal and mechanical equilibrium, and that the interactions between the components are purely entropic. It also assumes that the mixture is ideal, meaning that there are no intermolecular interactions between the components.

4. What are the applications of the Wassiljewa mixture model equation?

The Wassiljewa mixture model equation is commonly used in the study of solutions, particularly in physical chemistry and chemical engineering. It is used to calculate activity coefficients, which can then be used to predict the behavior of solutions in different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or composition.

5. Are there any limitations to the Wassiljewa mixture model equation?

Yes, the Wassiljewa mixture model equation has some limitations. It assumes that the mixture is ideal, which is not always the case in real-world solutions. It also does not take into account any specific interactions between the components, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated activity coefficients. Additionally, the equation may not be applicable to mixtures with high concentrations or strong intermolecular interactions.