DEs - Constants in Exercises: Why Not in General Forms?

• I
  • Thread starter Admiralibr123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of constants in exercises involving ODE's and whether they contribute anything to the solution. An example is provided to explain why they may not be included in a list of general formulas.
Admiralibr123
I have just started out with ODE's and in none of the general form in the classification have I seen a term with no variable but some questions do have constants in the exercise. I am just confused as to why are they not in general forms. Are they redundant? Do they not contribute anything to the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
An example of what you mean would be helpful. Otherwise it's almost impossible to understand what you are talking about.

Admiralibr123 said:
I have just started out with ODE's and in none of the general form in the classification have I seen a term with no variable but some questions do have constants in the exercise. I am just confused as to why are they not in general forms. Are they redundant? Do they not contribute anything to the solution?
If I understand what you're asking, they wouldn't be in some list of general formulas because they are trivial to solve.
Here's an example: ##\frac {dy}{dx} = 2##
Solution: y = 2x + C, where C is an arbitrary constant. The solutions are a family of lines with slope 2, but with different y intercepts.

If this isn't what you're asking about, please be more specific in your question.

1. What are constants in DEs?

Constants in DEs (differential equations) are values that remain unchanged throughout the entire equation. They are typically represented by letters such as C or K, and their value is determined by the initial conditions of the problem.

2. Why are constants not included in general forms of DEs?

Constants are not included in general forms of DEs because they are specific to each individual problem. Including them in the general form would make it less general and more specific to a particular scenario.

3. How are constants used in solving DEs?

Constants are used in solving DEs by allowing us to find the particular solution to a problem. By using the initial conditions and substituting them into the general form of the DE, we can solve for the values of the constants and obtain a specific solution.

4. Can constants change in value throughout the equation?

No, constants cannot change in value throughout the equation. They remain constant and unchanged throughout the entire problem, and their value is determined by the initial conditions.

5. Are constants necessary in solving DEs?

Yes, constants are necessary in solving DEs as they allow us to find the particular solution to a problem. Without them, we would only have a general solution that is not specific to any particular scenario.