Describe geometrically the level surfaces of the functions

In summary, the question is about finding a method to solve equations involving a function f(x,y,z) of a level surface. The function is given as f=(x^2 +y^2 +z^2) ^1/2, and the question is whether finding the gradient of this function will help in solving the equations. However, it is clarified that finding the gradient is not relevant and instead, the points where the function is constant should be determined, giving the equation (x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{1/2}= C. Squaring both sides will result in x^2+y^2+z^2= C2, where C2 is another constant.
matt_crouch
So the question is as titled

i) f=(x^2 +y^2 +z^2) ^1/2

if I can figure out the method I can solve the other equations but I'm not really sure where to start I know that a function f(x,y,z) of a level surface well be constant so do I just find del f ?

Physics news on Phys.org
matt_crouch said:
So the question is as titled

i) f=(x^2 +y^2 +z^2) ^1/2

if I can figure out the method I can solve the other equations but I'm not really sure where to start I know that a function f(x,y,z) of a level surface well be constant so do I just find del f ?
No, this has nothing to do with the gradient. A "level surface" for any function f(x,y,z) is, as you say, the set of points (x, y, z) where f(x, y, z)= C, a constant.

Here, that gives [itex](x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{1/2}= C[/itex]. What do you get if you square both sides?

so you just square both sides so id get

x2+y2+z2= C2

where C2 is just another constant

is that right?

Related to Describe geometrically the level surfaces of the functions

1. What are level surfaces?

Level surfaces are the three-dimensional representations of the solutions to a function. They are formed by connecting points on a graph that have the same output value, or "level".

2. How are level surfaces related to contour lines?

Contour lines are the two-dimensional representations of level surfaces. They are formed by tracing the intersections of the level surfaces with a two-dimensional plane. The contour lines on a map, for example, represent the elevation of the land at different points.

3. How can we describe the level surfaces of a function geometrically?

The level surfaces of a function can be described geometrically as a series of connected points in three-dimensional space that have the same output value. These surfaces can take different shapes, such as planes, spheres, or ellipsoids, depending on the function.

4. What do the level surfaces indicate about the function?

The level surfaces of a function can give us insight into the behavior and properties of the function. For example, if the level surfaces are parallel planes, the function is linear. If the level surfaces are concentric spheres, the function is quadratic. The curvature and orientation of the level surfaces can also provide information about the function.

5. How can we use level surfaces to solve problems?

Level surfaces can help us visualize and understand a function, which can be useful in solving problems involving the function. For example, we can use the shape and orientation of the level surfaces to determine the maximum or minimum values of the function, or to find the points where the function intersects with a certain plane in three-dimensional space.