Describing the translation and rotation of a square frame

In summary: So I think it's not too much to ask from you.In summary, the center of mass moves with a constant velocity, while the frame spins with angular velocity.
Igor Oliveira

Homework Statement

Four equal discs of mass
png.png
ocuppy the vertices of a square frame made by four rigid bars of length
png.png
and negligible mass. The frame is at rest on a horizontal table, and it can move with negligible friction. An instantaneous impulse
png.png
is transmitted to one of the masses, in the direction of one of the square`s diagonals. Describe completely the subsequent movement of the system.
file.png

Answer: The center of mass moves with constant velocity
4m.png
and the frame spins with angular velocity
2%5Csqrt%7B2%7Dml.png

Homework Equations

Linear momentum:
png.png

Angular momentum:
png.png

Impulse-momentum theorem:
png.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained the first result by assuming that the the linear momentum transmitted by the impulse will be divided into four chunks, which will be associated with each mass. Then, the center of mass will notably move with velocity
4m.png
. But why can I assume that? And shouldn`t the velocity be less than
4m.png
, considering that part of the energy given to the frame will be associated with its rotation?

(This problem was found in a textbook written in portuguese, so the translation might not be the best. Please comment any doubt with the problem statement!)

Attachments

• png.png
    png.png
    234 bytes · Views: 647
  • png.png
    png.png
    201 bytes · Views: 663
  • png.png
    png.png
    246 bytes · Views: 329
  • file.png
    file.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 4m.png
    4m.png
    437 bytes · Views: 329
  • 2%5Csqrt%7B2%7Dml.png
    2%5Csqrt%7B2%7Dml.png
    585 bytes · Views: 331
  • png.png
    png.png
    363 bytes · Views: 333
  • png.png
    png.png
    407 bytes · Views: 325
  • png.png
    png.png
    361 bytes · Views: 334
  • 4m.png
    4m.png
    437 bytes · Views: 334
  • 4m.png
    4m.png
    386 bytes · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, the total movement is the displacement of center or mass plus the rotation of mass around it.

How can you compute, the angular velocity ##\omega##?
Can you based in the geometry compute L? (p is totally transmited)
And the relation betwenn L, I and w?
Can you compute I for this system?

Likes Igor Oliveira
Thanks for the comment, Alejandro! I stopped thinking in terms of energy, and was able to solve this problem fairly easily.
(The terms in bold are vectors)
I) After the instantaneous impulse, there will be no net external force acting on the system. Thus, the linear momentum must be conserved. Besides that, we know that the center of mass (CM) moves as if all linear momentum was concentrated in it.

P = 4mvCM ⇔ vCM = P/4m.

II) On the other hand, after the instantaneous impulse, there will be no net external torque acting on the system. Therefore, the angular momentum must be conserved. Let ri be the position of mass i in relation to the CM, and vi its velocity. Then, we must have:

L = r1×(mv1) + r2×(mv2) + r3×(mv3) + r4×(mv4)
The direction of all vectors is the same. Then, we can work with the magnitudes of the vectors. Moreover, we know that the magnitude of ri is r, and the magnitude of vi is v.
L = rmv + rmv + rmv + rmv ⇔ L = 4mvr.
v = ωr ⇒ L = 4mwr2

But L = rP ⇒ rP = 4mwr2 ⇔ ω = P/4mr.
Also, r = 2⋅l/2. And finally: ω = P/22ml

Yes, I've made the problem, and only a half of A4 it's necessary for goal the solution

1. How is translation defined in the context of a square frame?

Translation is the movement of an object from one location to another in a straight line without changing its orientation or shape. In the context of a square frame, translation refers to the shifting of the frame's position in a horizontal or vertical direction without changing its shape or size.

2. What is rotation and how does it apply to a square frame?

Rotation is the circular movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. In the case of a square frame, rotation refers to the frame turning or pivoting around a fixed point, such as a corner or center point.

3. How do translation and rotation work together to describe the movement of a square frame?

Translation and rotation work together to describe the movement of a square frame by allowing the frame to move in a variety of directions and angles. Translation shifts the frame's position while rotation changes its orientation, allowing the frame to move in a curved or circular path.

4. Can translation and rotation be applied to other shapes besides a square frame?

Yes, translation and rotation can be applied to any shape or object. These concepts are fundamental in describing movement and can be applied to various forms, including circles, triangles, and polygons.

5. What are some real-world examples where understanding translation and rotation of a square frame is important?

Some real-world examples where understanding translation and rotation of a square frame is important include construction, engineering, and animation. In construction, precise translation and rotation are necessary for building structures. In engineering, these concepts are crucial for designing and creating functional machines. In animation, translation and rotation are used to create lifelike movements for animated characters and objects.