Design an Infinite NTM for Any Input String: Turing Machine Question

In summary: So it would move the tape head to the right and then back to the left and repeat that movement indefinitely. Is this correct?In summary, the conversation discusses designing a NTM that never terminates and always gives an infinite configuration sequence, regardless of the input string. The question only requires two states and the input language is not specified, making it difficult to determine the set of inputs that would cause the machine to never terminate. The individual asking for help is unsure if there is a way to move left on the tape regardless of the input, and wonders if simply moving the tape head to the right and back to the left indefinitely would satisfy the requirements.
leo0liver
Hey guys just wondering if I could get some help with this question. I am having trouble with it as I don't know what the input language is and therefore what inputs to handle. Heres the question:

Design an NTM (normalised Turing machine) that never terminates, so that regardless of the input string, it always gives an infinite configuration sequence. (You only need two states!)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok sorry about that will read now

(Thread moved to the schoolwork forums)

Welcome to the PF, @leo0liver -- What can you tell us about Turing machines, and what can affect whether they terminate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey the problem I was having with this question is I was not sure what the set of inputs would be. For example if they had stated that it was a binary input I would have moved the tape head to the right for inputs 1 and 0 and then started an infinite loop causing the tape head to never return to the first position and therefore never terminate. If the input language is not specified wouldn't there be a very large of possibilities of letters that the machine first sees on the tape that would cause it to abort and finish in the starting position? Or is there a way to move left on the tape no matter what the input?

I could also be overthinking it and what they really are asking for is a machine that never terminates for an input of 0 1 or blank.

1. What is an Infinite NTM?

An Infinite Non-deterministic Turing Machine (NTM) is a type of Turing machine that has an infinite number of tapes, instead of the standard single tape. Each tape can have an infinite length and can be read and written to by the machine.

2. How does an Infinite NTM differ from a regular Turing Machine?

An Infinite NTM differs from a regular Turing Machine in that it has an infinite number of tapes, which allows for more complex and efficient computations. It also has the ability to make multiple choices at each step, making it non-deterministic.

3. What is the purpose of designing an Infinite NTM for any input string?

The purpose of designing an Infinite NTM for any input string is to create a more powerful computing machine that can handle complex and infinite computations. It can also help in solving problems that regular Turing Machines cannot, such as the famous Halting problem.

4. How can an Infinite NTM handle any input string?

An Infinite NTM can handle any input string by using its infinite tapes to store and manipulate the input string. It can also use its non-deterministic capabilities to make multiple guesses and choices at each step, which allows it to handle any input string efficiently.

5. What are the limitations of an Infinite NTM?

Like any other computing machine, an Infinite NTM also has its limitations. It cannot solve problems that are undecidable, and it is also subject to the limitations of the Church-Turing thesis. Additionally, its infinite tapes require a large amount of memory, which can be a limitation in practical applications.