Design Factors for ICE Peak HP versus RPM?

In summary: Longer stroke: Higher displacement and lower RPM (Heavier, but can use a simpler transmission and valvetrain).
NTL2009
TL;DR Summary
What factors influence the RPM at which an ICE develops peak HP?
I'm thinking about the large (for the 1960's) farm tractors I drove, that produced lots of low end torque, and max RPM was ~ 1800 ~2200 (from memory). Are there certain design factors to maximize horsepower at these low RPMs, versus a common auto engine that might peak around 5,000-6,000 RPM?

I realize the farm tractor is designed for low RPM to extend life, as it is often run all day at that RPM, versus a typical auto that hits high RPM for acceleration, then settles down to that 1800~ 2200 RPM for cruising. Does bore x stroke play into it? Valve timing, 'breathing' (I guess the size of the air intake?), or other things? Or am I looking at it wrong, and they limit the engine to ~ 2000 RPM for long life, and the power you get it is the power you get, due to limits of torque x RPM? Though I would think it could be optimized.

I ask paritally out of pure curiosity, and partially thinking about a series/parallel hybrid car, where it could be designed such that the ICE never needs to rev so high, the acceleration would come from the motor/battery, and the engine would cruise along like that farm tractor. That ICE could be designed differently if it never needed to hit high RPM (stroke would not be so limited by piston speed, less issue with valve float, etc).

Engineering news on Phys.org
NTL2009 said:
Summary:: What factors influence the RPM at which an ICE develops peak HP?

Are there certain design factors to maximize horsepower at these low RPMs,
Yup.

Largely a large bore to get large surface area for the combustion pressure to act on.😁

RPM would be restricted by how much air/fuel can be 'inhaled' (limited cross-section of intake and exhaust, and by stroke)

Cheers,
Tom

NTL2009 said:
I'm thinking about the large (for the 1960's) farm tractors I drove, that produced lots of low end torque, and max RPM was ~ 1800 ~2200 (from memory).
Was the tractor you drove diesel? What make and model?

High speed engines need to change speed rapidly, so they have lightweight flywheels and 5 or more cylinders.

Tractors need weight for traction. A 3 or 4 cylinder engine with a heavy flywheel suits a tractor better than a car in stop/start traffic.

It was a John Deere 4010 Diesel (they made a gas version as well), but it was generally true of any farm tractor, that they ran at fairly low RPMs (I think this was the only one we had with a tach at the time - it was new in 1963, our others were pre-war models). Here are some specs, 6 cylinder, and rated HP is at 2200 RPM. Gas version has a "square" Bore/Stroke (same rated HP and RPM) . Diesel a longer stroke, expected I guess, for the higher compression ratio.

Diesel is higher displacement also - 380 ci [6.2 L] versus 302 ci [4.9 L] for gasoline.
I'd need to look at an auto engine curve, but in very round numbers, 80 HP @ 2200 RPM would probably be high for a 302 ci [4.9 L] auto engine, since their peak is around 5,500 RPM?

OK, did some searching - this 226 CI in-line 6 auto engine produces ~ 95 HP at 2200, rated peak is at 4,000 RPM. So not so very different at 2200 RPM. and it is undersquare configuration -- a 3.34-inch bore and 4.48-inch stroke, so that would seem to back up @Tom.G comment that a higher bore would provide more force for those low RPMs.

https://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201630667f0ac970d-800wi

So while lower RPM would allow for a longer stroke (which allows more time for the expanding gas to work on the piston), since piston speed would still be relatively low, I guess the surface area of the wider bore wins out at low RPM? Other than that, I don't think there are any big differences, just optimization of a lot of little things?

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/6/61-john-deere-4010-engine.html

NTL2009 said:
Does bore x stroke play into it?
It is only a question of mean piston speed, so only the stroke matters in the RPM output. Your engines have typical low mean piston speeds for 'endurance' engines.
NTL2009 said:
Valve timing,
Valve timing is more or less linked to the mean piston speed.
NTL2009 said:
'breathing' (I guess the size of the air intake?)
You adjust the valve size / bore ratio according to the mean piston speed range where you want to perform.
NTL2009 said:
they limit the engine to ~ 2000 RPM for long life, and the power you get it is the power you get,
  • You determine the desired mean piston depending on how hard you want your engine to work;
  • Then you determine your total piston area according to the power output you want;
  • Then you determine your stroke according to the compromise you wish to make:
    • Shorter stroke: Small displacement but high RPM (Lighter, but need a more complex transmission and valvetrain; usually bad performance at lower speeds)
    • Longer stroke: Low RPM but large displacement (Heavier)
  • Then you determine the number of cylinders according to the desired bore and/or combustion chamber design and/or smoothness of the engine
NTL2009 said:
where it could be designed such that the ICE never needs to rev so high
That engine would necessarily be huge. You have a choice: For a given mean piston speed, either the power comes from high RPM or a large displacement.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and NTL2009
jack action said:
NTL2009 said: where it could be designed such that the ICE never needs to rev so high
That engine would necessarily be huge. You have a choice: For a given mean piston speed, either the power comes from high RPM or a large displacement.

Thanks, especially for that last part, I guess there really is no substitute (all else being equal) for more power strokes per minute! That has to mean... more power (over a minute)! And yes, that John Deere 80 HP engine was HUGE (to keep RPM low to extend life).

With the increased size of the engine, the problem of increased internal forces of heavier reciprocating parts due to higher values of acceleration and deceleration becomes more important.
Those increased forces don't mix well with reduced dynamic lubrication due to slower sliding speeds between surfaces of two parts.
Ship engines that have huge pistons rotate very slowly.

Lnewqban said:
With the increased size of the engine, the problem of increased internal forces of heavier reciprocating parts due to higher values of acceleration and deceleration becomes more important.
Those increased forces don't mix well with reduced dynamic lubrication due to slower sliding speeds between surfaces of two parts.
Ship engines that have huge pistons rotate very slowly.
Slower RPMs doesn't mean slower sliding speed. That is why you must look at mean piston speed instead. This is what influences accelerations & decelerations. The largest engine in the world (stroke: 2.5 m; rpm range: 22-120 rpm; MPS: 8.5 m/s) has a mean piston speed comparable to the ones of the tractors discussed in this thread.

The RPM range is always determined by the desired mean piston speed.

1. What is the relationship between peak horsepower and RPM in an internal combustion engine (ICE)?

The peak horsepower and RPM of an ICE are directly related. As the RPM increases, the peak horsepower also increases. This is because the higher the RPM, the more times the engine's pistons can fire in a minute, resulting in more power output.

2. How do design factors affect the peak horsepower of an ICE?

Design factors such as the size and shape of the combustion chamber, valve timing, and the type of fuel injection system can greatly impact the peak horsepower of an ICE. A well-designed engine will have optimal airflow and fuel delivery, resulting in higher peak horsepower.

3. Does the weight of an ICE affect its peak horsepower?

Yes, the weight of an ICE can affect its peak horsepower. A lighter engine will have less inertia and can rev up to higher RPMs more quickly, resulting in higher peak horsepower. However, the overall design and efficiency of the engine also play a significant role in determining peak horsepower.

4. Can modifications increase the peak horsepower of an ICE?

Yes, modifications such as adding a turbocharger or supercharger, upgrading the fuel injectors, or installing a performance exhaust system can increase the peak horsepower of an ICE. These modifications improve the engine's efficiency and allow for more air and fuel to be combusted, resulting in higher peak horsepower.

5. Is peak horsepower the most important factor to consider when designing an ICE?

No, peak horsepower is not the only important factor to consider when designing an ICE. Other factors such as torque, fuel efficiency, and emissions also play a crucial role in the overall performance and design of an engine. A well-balanced design that takes into account all these factors will result in an optimal ICE.