Design Mini UAV: Detect Powerline Hotspots- Sensors & Cost

In summary: Can you give more information on your UAV design (main points only) as I think that will affect the sensors you need to employ due to : the temperature variations you need to distinguish will have a big effect - especially at a distance under differing wind/temp conditions. (This is a complex project to engineer)
donstenx
Hey guys. I want to design a UAV that can do mission such as detection of powerline's hotspot. I've no idea what is the best sensors should i use for this mini-uav? I've been looking at FLIR, but it's so expensive. so i think i should create my own sensors or use a cheaper one. Any idea what ir sensors are good? It's better if it is non-contact sensors, with high field of view & suitable detection range.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems the proximity of hovering would be a bigger issue. Powerlines are pretty high up and would be affected by wind gusts that would make hovering an issue unless you have some sort of compensators on your UAV.

How close can your UAV hover without crashing into the wires?

jedishrfu said:
It seems the proximity of hovering would be a bigger issue. Powerlines are pretty high up and would be affected by wind gusts that would make hovering an issue unless you have some sort of compensators on your UAV.

How close can your UAV hover without crashing into the wires?

Well, I haven't still decided on that though. but i think around 1m should be fine? i am focused on the sensors right now.
btw, thanks for your reply

donstenx said:
Well, I haven't still decided on that though. but i think around 1m should be fine? i am focused on the sensors right now.
btw, thanks for your reply

Okay so your sensors need to work from a meter away which means you need to be careful about directionality.

What if you used an IR camera?

Here's a website with some commentary on IR cameras and drones:

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/infrared-camera-options

There is some work being done with UAV hovering by a company in the north of the UK but so
far even a high powered device cannot hover reliably within the tolerances you describe (1M)
at the sort of heights I suspect you would be working at. If you ever find a solution
to that issue please PM me.

Can you give more information on your UAV design (main points only) as I think that will
affect the sensors you need to employ due to : the temperature variations you need to distinguish
will have a big effect - especially at a distance under differing wind/temp conditions.
(This is a complex project to engineer)
In other words - define your sensor platform and then choose the sensors that can work from
it might be a good approach?

1. What sensors are needed for detecting powerline hotspots on a mini UAV?

The most common sensors used for detecting powerline hotspots on a mini UAV are thermographic cameras, LiDAR sensors, and electromagnetic field sensors. These sensors can accurately identify temperature differences, physical obstructions, and electromagnetic radiation from powerlines, which are all indicators of a potential hotspot.

2. How does a mini UAV detect powerline hotspots?

A mini UAV detects powerline hotspots by flying over the powerlines and using the sensors to collect data. The data is then processed and analyzed to identify any anomalies that could indicate a hotspot. The UAV can also be equipped with software that can automatically flag potential hotspots, making the detection process more efficient.

3. What is the cost of a mini UAV for detecting powerline hotspots?

The cost of a mini UAV for detecting powerline hotspots can vary depending on the specific model and features. On average, a basic mini UAV with the necessary sensors can cost between $5000-$10,000. However, more advanced models with higher quality sensors and software can cost upwards of $20,000.

4. Can a mini UAV be used for other purposes besides detecting powerline hotspots?

Yes, a mini UAV can be used for various purposes, such as aerial photography, mapping, surveying, and monitoring. The mini UAV can be equipped with different sensors and software to cater to specific needs and applications.

5. What are the benefits of using a mini UAV for detecting powerline hotspots?

Using a mini UAV for detecting powerline hotspots has several benefits. It is a safer and more efficient method compared to manual inspections, as it eliminates the need for workers to physically climb powerlines. It also allows for more frequent and consistent monitoring, reducing the risk of potential hazards and improving maintenance planning. Additionally, using a mini UAV can save time and resources by covering a larger area in a shorter amount of time.