Design of a Lightweight Waterproof (IP 67/68) Winch

In summary, the conversation is about designing a lightweight waterproof winch system using off the shelf electrical or hand winches. The problem is that most electric winches are too heavy and have a higher force rating than needed. The solution of using a hand winch is discussed, but the process needs to be automated and the thread is moved to the schoolwork forum. The original poster defends their question not being related to schoolwork and questions the moderator's actions. The moderator explains that all schoolwork-type threads must go in the Homework Help forums and offers help if the original poster shows effort.
Daniel Sadlier
Hello,

I am currently designing a lightweight waterproof winch system using off the shelf electrical or hand winches.

My problem is that most electric winches that are waterproof are too heavy (design weight limit ~10lbs) and have a much higher force rating than needed (design max force ~500 lbs).

A hand winch could be used, but the process needs to be automated and it will probably take too long to couple it with an appropriate sized motor an enclose it in a sort of pressure housing.

Does anybody have an idea where I can find small scale IP rated winches? Or have any easy way to automate a hand winch?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Sadlier said:
A hand winch could be used, but the process needs to be automated and it will probably take too long to couple it with an appropriate sized motor an enclose it in a sort of pressure housing.
What's wrong with just using a hand winch? I keep a hand winch in my Suburban that meets your specs.

This looks like a schoolwork project, so I'll move it to the schoolwork forums...

Can you not. Your speculation is incorrect and you just buried this thread.

As I said, the process needs to be automated as a hand winch can't consistently deliver results within +-5mm.

Daniel Sadlier said:
Can you not. Your speculation is incorrect and you just buried this thread.

As I said, the process needs to be automated as a hand winch can't consistently deliver results within +-5mm.
Say which what? There may be a language barrier here, but you can please say more about why a hand winch will not work. You will not be able to put an appropriate size electric motor on a winch within that weight limit. What does "automated" mean in your post? Again, there may be a language translation issue with that word. :smile:

A simple google search of brushless dc motors gives results of 1 kW motors of ~2-3 lbs. To automate something is to control it (passively or actively) electrically using a computer. As I said, again, a hand winch can't consistently deliver results within the tolerance and unless you plan on hand cranking the winch 1.5 meters underwater, hence the IP rating, it is quite impractical as well.

Can you please move my thread back to it's rightful place?

Daniel Sadlier said:
Can you please move my thread back to it's rightful place?
Sure. Why is it not related to school?

It isn't a school project nor is it a homework problem... The intended audience is also not students or tutors.

Daniel Sadlier said:
It isn't a school project nor is it a homework problem... The intended audience is also not students or tutors.
That doesn't answer my question. Why are you being evasive?

Because I have no intention of giving out details of my project other than the question I am asking. It's the other version of IP. Why are you moving people's threads without reason anyway? You're logic of moving the thread without any knowledge and then asking why you should move it back is equivalent of presuming somebody is guilty of a crime and then trying them for their innocence.

Either way, you've ruined this thread.

Because we have to deal with students trying to cheat on their homework. All schoolwork-type threads go in the Homework Help forums, and must use the HH Template when posting. You have offered no evidence that this is for anything other than schoolwork, so that's where your thread goes.

Besides, you get great help in our HH forums as long as your show effort. Post what you have found so far. What are you having trouble with?

How does this sound in any way like a homework problem? It is strictly a design strategy/component sourcing question.

Do you go around to every question and move it to homework if they don't offer video evidence of their project?

Daniel Sadlier said:
How does this sound in any way like a homework problem? It is strictly a design strategy/component sourcing question.

Do you go around to every question and move it to homework if they don't offer video evidence of their project?
Yep. What is your design project for? Can you post links to it? Why are you being so evasive? Why don't you just use a hand winch like I have in my truck? It is under 10 pounds, and can pull the weight you specified. Short leash, son.

1. What is the purpose of designing a lightweight waterproof winch?

The purpose of designing a lightweight waterproof winch is to provide a versatile and durable tool for various applications such as marine, off-roading, and industrial use. A lightweight winch allows for easier transportation and installation, while the waterproof feature ensures functionality in harsh environments and weather conditions.

2. What is the significance of an IP 67/68 rating for a winch?

An IP 67/68 rating means that the winch has been tested and certified to be protected against dust and water immersion up to a certain level. This ensures that the winch is not only waterproof, but also dustproof, making it suitable for use in a wide range of environments and conditions.

3. What materials are typically used in the construction of a lightweight waterproof winch?

The most common materials used in the construction of a lightweight waterproof winch are aluminum and steel alloys. These materials are strong and durable, yet lightweight, making them ideal for creating a winch that can withstand harsh conditions while remaining easy to handle and transport.

4. How does the design of a lightweight waterproof winch differ from a regular winch?

The design of a lightweight waterproof winch typically incorporates a more compact and streamlined shape, using lighter materials and waterproof seals to reduce weight. It may also have additional features such as corrosion-resistant coatings and specialized gears to improve performance in wet or salty environments.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a lightweight waterproof winch?

The main drawback of a lightweight waterproof winch is that it may have a lower load capacity compared to heavier winches. This may limit its use in certain heavy-duty applications. Additionally, the use of specialized materials and features may make it more expensive than a regular winch. However, the benefits of portability and durability often outweigh these drawbacks for many users.

Back