Design of Experiments Ideas - Control Systems?

In summary, this student is looking for somewhich has controllable factors that might have anything to do with control systems. He is also looking for suggestions on an experiment that he can do.
fluidmech
Hi everyone,

I'm taking a Design of Experiments class which is focused on statistically designed experiments. I'm a bit lost for project ideas and this is my first graduate class. Would anyone have any ideas for an experiment that would have at least controllable factors that might have anything to do with control systems?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
fluidmech said:
Hi everyone,

I'm taking a Design of Experiments class which is focused on statistically designed experiments. I'm a bit lost for project ideas and this is my first graduate class. Would anyone have any ideas for an experiment that would have at least controllable factors that might have anything to do with control systems?

Thanks in advance!

Can you say more about what "statistically designed experiments" means? What have other students done in the past for this project?

berkeman said:
Can you say more about what "statistically designed experiments" means? What have other students done in the past for this project?
It could be something to the effect of wind tunnel testing to study aerodynamic behavior. In this case you would have a lot of different factors that could affect the results of the test, such as aerodynamic profile, wind speed, air pressure, air temperature, etc. The goal of the experiment would be to optimize the results based on varying control variables.

Examples would include:
  • Wind tunnel testing (many different input factors)
  • Tensile strength testing (affected by heat treatment, material composition, material supplier, cross sectional area, etc)
  • Taste of a food recipe (different amounts of ingredients, cooking temperature, time, etc
If possible, I would like to do something related to Control Systems, but I can't really think of any good ideas. My plan is to email Professors to see if they have any ideas for something that could benefit their research. A portion of the experiment would be statistical analysis, including statistical significance of various factors.

Suggestions?

fluidmech said:
It could be something to the effect of wind tunnel testing to study aerodynamic behavior. In this case you would have a lot of different factors that could affect the results of the test, such as aerodynamic profile, wind speed, air pressure, air temperature, etc. The goal of the experiment would be to optimize the results based on varying control variables.

Examples would include:
  • Wind tunnel testing (many different input factors)
  • Tensile strength testing (affected by heat treatment, material composition, material supplier, cross sectional area, etc)
  • Taste of a food recipe (different amounts of ingredients, cooking temperature, time, etc
If possible, I would like to do something related to Control Systems, but I can't really think of any good ideas. My plan is to email Professors to see if they have any ideas for something that could benefit their research. A portion of the experiment would be statistical analysis, including statistical significance of various factors.

Suggestions?

So you want some sort of control system that has a number of inputs that need to be processed? If so, maybe:
  • The gun barrel movement control system on a main battle tank -- there are a number of sensors that feed into the control system that let's the tank be so amazingly accurate at long distances and while the tank is moving. Can you name some of the inputs and the outputs of this control system?
  • Autopilot systems on aircraft -- what are some of the inputs and outputs for such a system?
  • Trajectory control systems for rockets -- what are the sensors and what are the outputs? :smile:

berkeman said:
So you want some sort of control system that has a number of inputs that need to be processed? If so, maybe:
  • The gun barrel movement control system on a main battle tank -- there are a number of sensors that feed into the control system that let's the tank be so amazingly accurate at long distances and while the tank is moving. Can you name some of the inputs and the outputs of this control system?
  • Autopilot systems on aircraft -- what are some of the inputs and outputs for such a system?
  • Trajectory control systems for rockets -- what are the sensors and what are the outputs? [emoji2]
These are fantastic suggestions but probably too large of a scope to be achievable within the semester.

That being said, maybe I'll think about something along the lines that is a bit smaller scale..

What is the purpose of designing experiments in control systems?

The purpose of designing experiments in control systems is to systematically gather data and test different variables in order to determine how they affect the overall performance of the system. This allows for the identification of optimal settings and conditions for the system to function efficiently and effectively.

What are the main components of a control system experiment?

The main components of a control system experiment include the control variables, the response variables, and the experimental conditions. Control variables are the factors that are manipulated by the experimenter, while response variables are the measures of the system's performance. Experimental conditions are the different settings and combinations of the control variables that are tested.

What are the different types of experimental designs used in control systems?

There are several types of experimental designs that can be used in control systems, including completely randomized designs, randomized block designs, and factorial designs. Each design has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of design will depend on the specific research question and goals of the experiment.

How do you determine the sample size for a control system experiment?

The sample size for a control system experiment is typically determined based on factors such as the desired level of statistical power, the expected effect size of the variables being tested, and the level of precision required in the results. Various statistical methods and software can be used to calculate the appropriate sample size for a given experiment.

What are some common challenges in designing experiments for control systems?

Some common challenges in designing experiments for control systems include identifying and controlling all relevant variables, ensuring the validity and reliability of the data collected, and balancing the trade-offs between precision and practicality. It is also important to consider ethical considerations and potential biases that may impact the results.