Design Problem Lightweight Plastic String for Zipper Seams

In summary: I have been looking online, but haven't had any luck. I am thinking maybe something like a hair retention clip that attaches to hair. Would that be a good place to start?In summary, a light weight plastic material can be sewn into fabric alongside a zipper and spring open when the zipper opens. This would be a personal project where the zipper is a two way zipper opening in the middle in both directions such that the opening get larger from the center outwards as you open the zipper. The opening only needs to be about 3-4 inches, but I do need maximal resistance somehow to maximize the width of the opening.
At a Loss
I need a light weight plastic material, like a string that is no more than 1/8 inch in diameter, that can be sewn into fabric alongside a zipper and spring open when the zipper opens. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone is able to give. I have been trying to solve this design problem for months.

Engineering news on Phys.org
At a Loss said:
I need a light weight plastic material, like a string that is no more than 1/8 inch in diameter, that can be sewn into fabric alongside a zipper and spring open when the zipper opens. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone is able to give. I have been trying to solve this design problem for months.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It would seem like you could just use two pieces of plastic ribbon that are formed in the shape of a curve, and sewn into the fabric next to each side of the zipper in the orientation where the curve is parallel to the plane of the zipper. How long will the zipper be? Does it zip closed going up or going down? Is this for a schoolwork design project, or a personal project?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It would seem like you could just use two pieces of plastic ribbon that are formed in the shape of a curve, and sewn into the fabric next to each side of the zipper in the orientation where the curve is parallel to the plane of the zipper. How long will the zipper be? Does it zip closed going up or going down? Is this for a schoolwork design project, or a personal project?

Hi, thank you for your post, I hadn't thought of that. It's a personal project where the zipper is a two way zipper opening in the middle in both directions such that the opening get larger from the center outwards as you open the zipper. The opening only needs to be about 3-4 inches, but I do need maximal resistance somehow to maximize the width of the opening. Do you know of a specific type of plastic ribbon that I could use. Thanks again.

There are two types of strands that should be considered: 1. A polyester monofilament (available in different diameters); and a wrapped wire if more rigidity is needed (this would probably have to be specially made by a textile company with a wrapping machine). You could probably do this yourself, but be sure to use two layers wrapped in opposite direction.

To coordinate the strand with the zipper's opening and closing you might consider modifying the slider. Small eyelets could be attached to guide the strands.

What exactly are you trying to do? Is it a one time action or one that's repeated. Is it for a garment? If so, do it have to be washable?

Likes Chestermiller and berkeman
Hi, thank you so much for your thoughtful response. What you are describing sounds very close to what I need. Yes, it is for a washable, repeatable action garment. It has a 2-way zipper, such that when opened there will be a hole in the center that needs to stay open for injections. Could you please provide me with a little more information on the polyester monofilament, or any other ideas you might have. I really like your suggestion about modifying the zipper slider.

Lots of places sell monofilament yarns. Polyester is usually available and is probably the best polymer for your application. Just Google monofilament yarns and find one with the correct dimensions. Another thought - if you need an opening for injections, your might consider a Velcro closure rather than a zipper. That would give you more flexibility in designing the garment.

Hi Slideruler, regarding my question above, I have an international patent deadline coming up in two short months, and have to make some important decisions before that happens. Would you available to consult over the phone. I have a paypal account, and would, of course, be happy to pay for your time.

Not sure you could do this with a string or filament (but as always I reserve the right to terribly wrong). If I understand, you need something that will create tension so that when the zipper is unzipped, it flays open and stays open. You'll need something like a girl's hair beret...??...berette?...whatever...metal hair retaining clip gizmo. Only made of a stiff-enough plastic with sufficient cross section to provide the spring-open force you need. Could be formed, could be injection molded, could be printed...in the open shape. When the closure is zipped, it requires the spring to bend under tension. Tension is released when zipper opens.

Thank you, that is precisely the right idea! Do you have any suggestions as to where I may be able to find such a material.

1. What is the purpose of designing a lightweight plastic string for zipper seams?

The purpose of designing a lightweight plastic string for zipper seams is to create a more durable and efficient zipper that is also lightweight. This can be useful for various applications such as clothing, backpacks, and bags.

2. What are the advantages of using a lightweight plastic string for zipper seams?

There are several advantages to using a lightweight plastic string for zipper seams. They include increased flexibility and durability, resistance to corrosion and moisture, and reduced weight compared to traditional metal zippers.

3. How does the design of the lightweight plastic string affect the functionality of the zipper?

The design of the lightweight plastic string can greatly affect the functionality of the zipper. The string must be durable enough to withstand frequent use and strong enough to hold the zipper in place. It should also be designed to easily slide through the zipper teeth for smooth and efficient opening and closing.

4. Can the lightweight plastic string be recycled?

Yes, the lightweight plastic string can be recycled. Many companies are now using recycled plastic to create their products, including zippers. This not only helps to reduce waste, but also promotes sustainability and environmental responsibility.

5. How can the design of the lightweight plastic string be improved?

The design of the lightweight plastic string can be improved through extensive research and development. This can include testing different materials, designs, and manufacturing processes to find the most efficient and durable option. Additionally, seeking feedback from users and implementing their suggestions can also lead to improvements in the design.