Designing a Diode-RC AM Demodulator: Component Values for 1MHz fc and 10kHz fm

• Thread starter zzzyzx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a diode-rc demodulator (AM) design and figuring out the component values for a lab. The first resistor in series is used as a current limiter and works as a voltage divider with the capacitor to reject the 1 MHz component while retaining most of the 10 KHz component. A recommended value for the capacitor is 0.01 uF with a series resistor of 500 ohms. The resistor across the capacitor is used to discharge it in the period of the 10 KHz modulation component. AC theory and complex numbers are also mentioned in relation to this design.
zzzyzx
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a diode-rc demodulator (AM), but for my lab the design shows a resistor in series before the diode and the resistor and cap in parallel. I am supposed to figure out the component values, but I'm not sure what to do with the first resistor in series (a current limiter?). Here's what I have so far:

fc = 1 MHz
fm = 10kHz
C = 0.1 uF
R = 500ohms

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks pretty good. You have two time constants between successive 10 kHz peaks. I would also try a shorter time constant (~25 usec) depending on the depth of the am modulation. The first (series) resistor determines the charging time constant of the capacitor. This should not be too short.
Bob S

To fit this in with what you have been studying, maybe you could show the relevant formulas.

I think the 0.1 uF is a bit too large. Try 0.01 uF with a series 500 ohm resistor. I chose that to have 3 times as much reactance as the resistance of the series resistor at 10 KHz. This way I could retain 75% of the incoming signal as output.

The series resistor produces a voltage divider with the capacitor, so that you can reject most of the 1 MHz component while retaining as much as possible of the 10000 KHz component.

A 0.01 uF cap has a reactance of 16 ohms at 1 MHz and 1592 ohms at 10 KHz so it should give reasonable rejection of the 1 MHz component while retaining most of the 10 KHz component.

This is a series RC circuit, so you have to treat it like in AC theory, with complex numbers, but you can see that the 1 MHz component would be greatly reduced compared with the 10 KHz one. It works out that 95 % of the 10 KHz signal is retained while only less than 1 % of the 1 MHz signal is retained.

The resistor across the capacitor has to discharge the capacitor in the period of the 10 KHz modulation component. Otherwise the circuit would be working as a peak voltage detector.
So, if R * C = 1 / 10000 then R = ? (don't forget the R is in Mohms if C is in uF)

Last edited:

1. What is a Diode-RC AM Demodulator?

A Diode-RC AM Demodulator is an electronic circuit used to retrieve the original signal from an amplitude-modulated (AM) carrier wave. It uses a diode and a resistor to convert the AM signal back to its original form.

2. How does a Diode-RC AM Demodulator work?

The diode in the circuit acts as a rectifier, converting the AC signal from the carrier wave into a pulsing DC signal. The RC filter then smooths out the pulsing signal, leaving only the original audio signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a Diode-RC AM Demodulator?

One of the main advantages of using a Diode-RC AM Demodulator is its simplicity and low cost. It also has a high efficiency in extracting the audio signal from the carrier wave.

4. What are the limitations of a Diode-RC AM Demodulator?

A Diode-RC AM Demodulator is not suitable for demodulating high-frequency signals, as the diode may not be able to respond quickly enough. It also has a limited frequency response range, making it less effective for demodulating wideband signals.

5. How is a Diode-RC AM Demodulator different from other demodulation techniques?

A Diode-RC AM Demodulator is a passive demodulation technique, meaning it does not require an external power source. It is also a simple and cost-effective method compared to other active demodulation techniques, such as envelope detectors or synchronous demodulators.