Designing a DIY Electron Beam Generator: Vacuum & Helium Questions

In summary, this person finished calculus based physics II and is looking to design and make an electron beam generator and has some questions about pressure and helium.
QuasarBT
This is my first post here so hello to anybody who reads this!

I just finished calculus based physics II this semester and there are a few things I want to design and make for myself to help better my understanding of what I learned in physics. One is device I have seen that generates an electron beam and uses a magnetic field to give the electrons circular motion. The part of it that I am the least comfortable with is the vacuum. The question I have is this: What sort of pressure do I need in the vacuum so that the tube is evacuated enough to allow the electrons freedom to move?

Also, I understand that helium gas will fluoresce when struck by the moving electrons. But how much helium per unit volume is needed? Currently I am considering the use of mercury vapor instead because it would be very easy for me to add a bit of mercury before I evacuate the tube/housing. I would appreciate any opinions on this because I intend to do a complete design before I attempt any assembly.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mercury vapour is a greater health risk than the Helium and alternatives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas-discharge_lamp may give you some ideas or links.

I assume these are the Teltron ( 3BScientific now own them ) or similar demonstration tubes you are talking about, they normally use Neon (classed as residual amounts)
http://www.3bscientific.co.uk/shop/u.k./physics/teltron,pg_83_675_0_0.html

As for the actual pressures I do not know, but I assume the lower the better ;) and then with the gas it'll be enough to make it visible.
Try it the traditional way... trial and error :D

Last edited:
Why would you want an electronic device to cause the electron beam to cirulate? Unless you want them to radiate due to loss of angular momentum.

Why build one? Couldn't you just buy a used oscilloscope or tv?

Thanks for the link to the gas-lamp, bsimmo. That did give me some good ideas and I hadn't thought about it before, but different gasses give me different colors so I can go for style too! And I agree with what you said about doing things the traditional way...as far as the pressure goes, all I know is the lower the better and it's looking like I'll just have to put a gauge on it and see what works. And yes! that Teltron thing is basically the same thing I am making. I'm going to look at that closer tonight and see if they give any of the specs.

To Russ, I had thought about doing something like that (at the least getting a heater-cathode/anode set up that way). But I really want to make this all myself...or atleast as much as I can.

Related to Designing a DIY Electron Beam Generator: Vacuum & Helium Questions

1. How can I create a vacuum in my DIY electron beam generator?

To create a vacuum in your DIY electron beam generator, you will need to use a vacuum pump. This pump will remove air and other gases from the chamber, creating a vacuum. Make sure to follow safety precautions and instructions when using a vacuum pump.

2. Do I need to use helium gas in my electron beam generator?

Yes, helium gas is essential for the proper functioning of an electron beam generator. It acts as an inert gas that helps to maintain a stable discharge within the chamber. Without helium, the electron beam will not be able to maintain its shape and intensity, leading to poor results.

3. What is the purpose of the helium gas in an electron beam generator?

Helium gas is used in an electron beam generator to stabilize the discharge within the chamber. It also acts as a medium for the electrons to travel through, creating the electron beam. Additionally, helium gas helps to prevent arcing and contamination within the chamber.

4. Can I use other gases besides helium in my electron beam generator?

While helium is the most commonly used gas in electron beam generators, other gases such as argon and neon can also be used. However, these gases may require different settings and adjustments to achieve optimal results. It is best to consult a professional or do thorough research before using any gas other than helium in your electron beam generator.

5. How can I ensure the safety of my DIY electron beam generator?

Safety is a crucial aspect of working with electron beam generators, as they can produce high voltages and emit radiation. It is important to always wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to follow safety guidelines and instructions when using the generator. Additionally, make sure to properly ground the generator and keep it away from flammable materials.