Designing a Lead-Melting Glove: Possible Materials and Safety Measures

• Thread starter stephenkohnle53
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of designing a glove that allows for melting lead in the hands. The idea is deemed potentially unsafe due to the high temperatures and potential for lead poisoning. Other potential materials and methods are suggested, such as using thermal resistant materials and heat shields. The purpose of the project is to explore the feasibility of such a design, but it is acknowledged that it may not have a practical use.
stephenkohnle53
I know virtually nothing about engineering but I want to design a glove that allows me to melt lead in my hands. I do not want to build it since I do not know nearly enough to try but I want to see if it is possible and maybe build it as an adult. I was thinking that you could use a thermal resistant glove and put a thermal resisting blanket on top with a temperature regulator between them that would disable the glove if it becomes too hot. And on top of the outer glove have nichrome wire that is covered in an electrically resistant material that allows for heat transfer.

Could this or a different design allow you to build it. Also what materials are electrically resistant but not thermally resistant.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Although this might be technically possible (e.g. look at the clothing steel workers use at the blast furnace), I doubt that this is anywhere close to being safe. The only liquid metal you can safely control in your free hand is mercury, and that damages you differently. Liquid lead is simply too hot and will seriously burn people if it gets in contact with skin, a possibility you can impossibly rule out.

Likes stephenkohnle53 and Nidum
Just for interest though :

Plumbers use moleskin mitts or hand held moleskin pads to wipe molten lead over joints in pipework and tanks . With experience the lead could be put into a part molten part pasty condition and pushed around as needed quite easily .

I've done this myself .

stephenkohnle53 said:
I know virtually nothing about engineering but I want to design a glove that allows me to melt lead in my hands.
Why would you want to do this?

I like designing things for the purpose of finding out if its possible. And I want to build it since that would be cool but I won't since that would be a terrible idea. I really just want to find out if its possible or even remotely feasible,

fresh_42 said:
The only liquid metal you can safely control in your free hand is mercury

Gallium melts just below 30°C.

Borek said:
Gallium melts just below 30°C.
Don't get him ideas and plunder LEDs for GaAs! :nb)

Likes Averagesupernova
stephenkohnle53 said:
I like designing things for the purpose of finding out if its possible. And I want to build it since that would be cool but I won't since that would be a terrible idea. I really just want to find out if its possible or even remotely feasible,
I don't think it's a terrible idea, just one that at this time has not much purpose. Invent a safe method to handle a small amount of molten metal in a hand and the need might become apparent :smile:

Maybe something using the Heat Shield tiles on the Space Shuttle. If I recall correctly, they are a Silicon aero-gel; a solid but perhaps coarsely ground up could be used in a granular form. The stuff is close to magic. I once witnessed a demonstration where a 2 or 3 inch cube was hand-held by its corners and a face of it was glowing red hot from a blow torch.

But this is probably a better idea.
fresh_42 said:
look at the clothing steel workers use at the blast furnace

Tom.G said:
I once witnessed a demonstration where a 2 or 3 inch cube was hand-held by its corners and a face of it was glowing red hot ...
Here's a demo for doing that:

Likes Tom.G
RonL said:
I don't think it's a terrible idea, just one that at this time has not much purpose. Invent a safe method to handle a small amount of molten metal in a hand and the need might become apparent :smile:
The reason I say its a terrible idea is because I am shall we say known to not be careful. Plus i have virtually no engineering experience and although I think I know how I could build it id rather wait until I do simpler projects first.

BTW yes I know gallium can melt in your hands but its messy and not nearly as a cool. Plus it won't really teach me much by holding it.

1. What materials can be used to make a lead-melting glove?

Possible materials for a lead-melting glove include heat-resistant fabrics such as Kevlar, Nomex, and leather, as well as high-temperature resistant coatings or layers such as silicone, neoprene, or polyurethane. It is important to choose materials that can withstand the extreme heat and potential splashes of molten lead.

2. Are there any safety measures that should be taken when designing a lead-melting glove?

Yes, several safety measures should be taken when designing a lead-melting glove. The glove should be able to withstand high temperatures and protect the wearer from potential burns or injuries. It should also have a snug fit to prevent any molten lead from entering the glove. Additionally, it is important to choose materials that do not easily catch fire or melt, as this could result in further safety hazards.

3. How can the design of the glove prevent lead exposure?

The design of the glove should aim to prevent any gaps or openings where molten lead could potentially enter. This can be achieved through a snug fit and the use of materials that are resistant to heat and melting. It is also important to regularly check the glove for any wear and tear, as this could compromise its effectiveness in preventing lead exposure.

4. Can a lead-melting glove be reused or should it be disposed of after one use?

It is possible to reuse a lead-melting glove if it is properly maintained and shows no signs of wear and tear. However, it is recommended to replace the glove after a certain period of time or if it has been exposed to extreme heat or molten lead. Regular maintenance and proper storage can help prolong the lifespan of the glove.

5. How can the comfort of the wearer be taken into consideration when designing a lead-melting glove?

The comfort of the wearer can be taken into consideration by choosing materials that are lightweight and breathable, as well as ensuring a proper fit. It is important to balance safety and comfort when designing a lead-melting glove, as a glove that is too uncomfortable may not be worn consistently or may compromise the safety of the wearer.