Designing a planocovex PMMA lens

In summary: It is a mathematical equation that calculates the curvature of a lens. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this equation and cannot help you with it. If you are looking for a general guide to calculating lens curvature, you can try the Lensmaker Curvature Calculator.
Antraxius
As an electrical engineer, I am an amateur on optics, but I really could use some help.
I am making a lens of PMMA, 2D. To 'convert' a rotary movement into a sweep.

The lens needs to be 120mm long, with its focus at a max distance of 80mm
the light traveling out of the lens needs to be parallel with the main axis of the lens.

To clarify, I’ve uploaded an image.

Could someone help me calculating the curvature of the lens?

Attachments

• Design.JPG
    Design.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 441
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 452
Science news on Phys.org
Antraxius said:
As an electrical engineer, I am an amateur on optics, but I really could use some help.
I am making a lens of PMMA, 2D. To 'convert' a rotary movement into a sweep.

The lens needs to be 120mm long, with its focus at a max distance of 80mm
the light traveling out of the lens needs to be parallel with the main axis of the lens.

To clarify, I’ve uploaded an image.

Could someone help me calculating the curvature of the lens?

If I understand you, you simply want to place the center of rotation at the focal point of your lens; any focal length lens will work, the diameter of the lens will set the angular range of scan- not sure why you need to calculate the curvature. So an 80mm focal length lens of diameter 120mm will work, although that's a fast lens and you will have significant aberrations. Making the lens faster (focal length shorter than 80mm, maintaining a 120mm diameter) will increase the aberrations.

That is correct, the measurements are set as a maximum. Since we have limited space available. I need to know the curvature because I am making the lens myself. Using a CNC laser cutter, and the material isn't glass but PMMA which has a different n-index.

Antraxius said:
That is correct, the measurements are set as a maximum. Since we have limited space available. I need to know the curvature because I am making the lens myself. Using a CNC laser cutter, and the material isn't glass but PMMA which has a different n-index.

The lensmaker formula (lensmaker equation) is what you are looking for.

Related to Designing a planocovex PMMA lens

1. What is a planocovex PMMA lens?

A planocovex PMMA lens is a type of lens that is commonly used in the field of optics. It is made of PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate), which is a transparent thermoplastic polymer that is commonly known as acrylic. The lens has a curved surface on one side and a flat surface on the other.

2. How is a planocovex PMMA lens designed?

Designing a planocovex PMMA lens involves several steps. First, the desired specifications and requirements for the lens are determined, such as the focal length and diameter. Then, the curvature of the convex surface is calculated based on the desired focal length. Next, the lens is designed using computer-aided design software and the design is optimized through simulations and testing.

3. What are the advantages of a planocovex PMMA lens?

There are several advantages of using a planocovex PMMA lens. It is lightweight, durable, and has high optical clarity. It is also relatively inexpensive compared to other types of lenses. Additionally, PMMA is resistant to UV radiation and can be easily molded into different shapes and sizes to meet specific design requirements.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a planocovex PMMA lens?

When designing a planocovex PMMA lens, several factors need to be considered. These include the desired focal length, diameter, and thickness of the lens, as well as the curvature of the convex surface and the material properties of PMMA. Other factors such as the intended use of the lens and the environmental conditions it will be exposed to should also be taken into account.

5. What are some common applications of planocovex PMMA lenses?

Planocovex PMMA lenses have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in cameras, telescopes, microscopes, and other optical instruments. They are also used in medical devices such as eyeglasses and contact lenses. In addition, PMMA lenses are often used in LED lighting, automotive lighting, and laser technology.