Designing a Tone Generator for Telecommunications

In summary, the conversation discussed designing a tone generator for telecommunications applications. The individual plans to use a 555 timer as the oscillator and is seeking tips on creating a constant tone, which can be achieved through a sine wave generator such as the Wien Bridge.
aliaze1
I am trying to design a tone generator similar to those used in telecommunications applications (ex: http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=89724&eventPage=1) The probe (inductive amplifier) can be used on any tone generator, so I plan to use it with mine.

So far, I have thought of using a 555 timer as the oscillator (since it is also adjustable, see astable mode http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC). I am having trouble figuring out how to design a circuit that creates a constant tone (should be easy). This constant tone (a constant voltage) will be AND'd with the output of the 555 timer, to make a pulsing sound/on-off sound.

Any tips on generating a constant tone? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to Google 'Sine Wave Generator" such as Wien Bridge.

1. What is a tone generator for telecommunications?

A tone generator for telecommunications is a device that produces a specific tone or frequency that can be used for various purposes in telecommunications, such as testing phone lines or signaling in telephone networks.

2. How does a tone generator work?

A tone generator works by producing a specific tone or frequency using an electronic circuit. This tone is then transmitted through the telephone network and can be received and detected by other devices.

3. What are the components of a tone generator?

A tone generator typically consists of an oscillator, which generates the tone, and a power amplifier, which amplifies the tone to a level that can be transmitted through the telephone network. It may also include controls for adjusting the frequency and amplitude of the tone.

4. What are the main applications of a tone generator in telecommunications?

A tone generator can be used for various purposes in telecommunications, such as testing phone lines for continuity and quality, detecting line faults, identifying specific phone lines, and signaling in telephone networks for call progress or routing.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a tone generator?

Yes, there are some safety considerations when using a tone generator. The tone produced by the generator can be loud and may cause discomfort or hearing damage if listened to for extended periods. It is also important to use the generator only as directed and avoid using it near electronic medical devices or in hazardous environments.