Designing an Auto Match Unit for RF supply

In summary, the conversation is about using a 13.56 MHz RF generator from eBay for an ICP plasma project. The speaker needs to construct an RF coil and parallel capacitor with a resonant frequency of 13.56 MHz but also needs to design an AMU to maintain the resonant frequency as the load on the coil varies. The AMU operates similarly to SWR meters and may involve using stepper motors and variable capacitors. The speaker is seeking advice from someone knowledgeable on how to design the AMU and its related circuitry.
Ash Small
I've picked up a 13.56 MHz RF generator from eBay which I plan to use for an ICP plasma project (this is what it was designed for).

I need to construct an RF coil and parallel capacitor with a resonant frequency of 13.56 MHz but I also need to construct an AMU as, as I understand it, as soon as I put a load on the coil the resonant frequency will be altered.

I understand these AMU's usually have a couple of stepper motors driving variable capacitors to maintain the resonant frequency at 13.56MHz as the load on the coil varies, but I'd appreciate some advice from someone who knows about these things regarding how I should go about designing the AMU and it's related circuitry.

I understand these AMU's operate in a similar fashion to SWR meters but that they adjust the resonance as the load varies.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ping @Baluncore . Can you help with this spring cleaning thread?

1. What is the purpose of an Auto Match Unit for RF supply?

An Auto Match Unit for RF supply is a device used in radio frequency (RF) systems to match the impedance of the load (usually an antenna) to the impedance of the RF source. This ensures maximum power transfer and prevents signal loss.

2. How does an Auto Match Unit work?

An Auto Match Unit typically consists of a variable capacitor and an inductor, which are adjusted to create an impedance match between the source and load. This is achieved by measuring the reflected power and adjusting the components until the reflected power is minimized.

3. What factors should be considered when designing an Auto Match Unit?

When designing an Auto Match Unit, factors such as the frequency range, power handling capability, and impedance matching requirements of the system should be taken into account. Other considerations may include the physical size and cost of the unit.

4. Are there different types of Auto Match Units available?

Yes, there are various types of Auto Match Units available, including single and multi-section units, manual and automatic units, and fixed and variable units. The type of unit needed will depend on the specific requirements of the RF system.

5. Can an Auto Match Unit be used for both transmit and receive signals?

Yes, an Auto Match Unit can be used for both transmit and receive signals. However, it may need to be adjusted or bypassed for optimal performance in each direction, as the impedance matching requirements may differ for transmitting and receiving signals.