Designing Photonic Integrated Circuit: Photodiode to CMOS

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a photonic integrated circuit to replace the global interconnect layer of a LSI. The output of a photodiode without TIA will be transmitted to another layer of the LSI using TSV or something similar. There is a discussion about using a CMOS inverter and the necessary voltage output of the photodiode. It is suggested to use an actual TIA and limiter circuit for better performance. There is also a mention of impedance matching, which has been a sought-after goal in the electronics industry for several decades.
BenKOTI
I am now trying to design a photonic integrated circuit which will be used to replace the global interconnect layer of a LSI. I need to somehow take the output of a photodiode w/o TIA (10G signal perhaps) and then transmit that signal to other layer of the LSI by TSV or something. Assume a connection between photodiode and a CMOS inverter.

(1) What is the required voltage output of the photodiode. I have heard from someone that the required voltage swing for driving an inverter in 32 nm node is 200 mV, is that true? I thought it would be higher.
(2)Is it necessary to realize impedance matching in this kind of design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
(1) Depends entirely on the supply voltage for the inverter you're using. For a 5V supply, conventionally 3.5V to 5V is recognized as "high" and 0V to 1.5V is recognized as "low". If possible, it may make sense to introduce an analog comparator before the inverter.

(2) Not unless the signal is RF. If it's short of 10MHz at the photodiode, I wouldn't bother.

BenKOTI said:
I am now trying to design a photonic integrated circuit which will be used to replace the global interconnect layer of a LSI.

That has been one of the holy grails of the electronics industry for at least 20 years now. If you can solve it, you'll be rich beyond your wildest imagination! I'm surprised you would have to ask our opinion here...

BenKOTI said:
I need to somehow take the output of a photodiode w/o TIA (10G signal perhaps) and then transmit that signal to other layer of the LSI by TSV or something. Assume a connection between photodiode and a CMOS inverter.

In your scenario you would be using the CMOS inverter as a (poor) TIA. But I'm assuming you know that. Why not use an actual TIA and get *much* better performance? You can use the output of the TIA to drive an inverter, but then you'd be using the inverter as a (poor) limiter. But I'm assuming you know that. Why not use an actual limiter circuit? You can make those (and many are made) in CMOS, you know. Do you know how analog front ends for optical communications transceivers are designed? They evolved the way they did for a reason.

BenKOTI said:
(1) What is the required voltage output of the photodiode. I have heard from someone that the required voltage swing for driving an inverter in 32 nm node is 200 mV, is that true? I thought it would be higher.

Do you know how a diode works? The "required" voltage output is just the turn-on voltage of the diode, as the signal is a current.

BenKOTI said:
(2)Is it necessary to realize impedance matching in this kind of design?

What?

Likes berkeman
analogdesign said:
That has been one of the holy grails of the electronics industry for at least 20 years now.
More like 40 years. :approve:

Likes analogdesign

1. What is a photonic integrated circuit (PIC) and how does it differ from a traditional integrated circuit?

A photonic integrated circuit is a device that combines photonic and electronic components on a single chip. It uses photons (light) to process and transmit information, whereas traditional integrated circuits use electrons. This allows for higher data transfer rates, lower power consumption, and smaller size compared to traditional circuits.

2. How does the photodiode component work in a PIC?

A photodiode is a semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. In a PIC, the photodiode is used to receive incoming optical signals and convert them into electrical signals that can be processed by the electronic components on the chip.

3. What is the role of CMOS in a PIC?

CMOS (complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor) is a type of integrated circuit technology that is commonly used in electronic devices. In a PIC, CMOS is used to integrate the photonic and electronic components on the same chip, allowing for efficient communication between the two.

4. What are the main challenges in designing a photonic integrated circuit?

One of the main challenges in designing a PIC is ensuring that the photonic and electronic components can coexist on the same chip without interfering with each other. This requires precise design and fabrication techniques to minimize optical losses and maintain electrical performance.

5. What are some potential applications of photonic integrated circuits?

Photonic integrated circuits have a wide range of potential applications, including high-speed data communication, optical sensing, and biomedical imaging. They are also being explored for use in quantum computing and artificial intelligence systems.