Designing Shafts to Withstand Shear Stress

In summary: Shear stress=F/AF=Wx9.81The shear stress, τ = 9.81Wxπ(D/2)/(D/2), will not exceed 1 degree in 20 diameters.
loststudent123

Homework Statement

A rule often used in shaft design states that the angle of twist shall not exceed 1° on a length equal to 20 diameters. What stress in the material does this imply if the modulus of rigidity is equal to 80 × 103 N/mm2 ?

Homework Equations

T/J=Gθ/L=τ/r
J=π?32(D^4-d^4)[/B]
G=shear stress/shear strain
shear stress=F/A
F=Wx9.81

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found that the length of the beam is D(20) letting D equal its diameter
so i got the equation
(80x10^3)/(D(20)=Wx9.81Xπ(D/2)/(D/2)
but I am not sure if that's right or how to solve when there is two unknowns?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
loststudent123 said:

Homework Statement

A rule often used in shaft design states that the angle of twist shall not exceed 1 on a length equal to 20 diameters. What stress in the material does this imply if the modulus of rigidity is equal to 80 × 103 N/mm2 ?

Homework Equations

T/J=Gθ/L=τ/r
J=π?32(D^4-d^4)[/B]
G=shear stress/shear strain
shear stress=F/A
F=Wx9.81

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found that the length of the beam is D(20) letting D equal its diameter
so i got the equation
(80x10^3)/(D(20)=Wx9.81Xπ(D/2)/(D/2)
but I am not sure if that's right or how to solve when there is two unknowns?
It's not clear what criterion you are intended to use here. The text of your post doesn't correctly display the words, 'the angle of twist shall not exceed 1 [squiggle] on a length equal to 20 diameters.' What are the units of 1 [squiggle]?

If you know anything about calculating the shear stress of circular shafts, it should be that shear stress ≠ F / A.
What is the correct formula for calculating the shear stress for a circular shaft in torsion?

my lecture gave only those equations so I am not sure of anyothers and i fixed the angle of twist however.

loststudent123 said:
my lecture gave only those equations so I am not sure of anyothers and i fixed the angle of twist however.
Well, I must say that was a poor lecture then.

For a circular shaft, the angle of twist θ = TL / G J, where

T = applied torque
L = length of the shaft
G = modulus of rigidity of the shaft material
J = polar moment of inertia for the shaft, J = π D4 / 32 for solid shafts; J = π (Do4 - Di4) for hollow shafts,
Do = outer diameter of shaft
Di = inner diameter of shaft

The torsional shear stress, τ = T ⋅ r / J, where

T = applied torque
r = location of the point where shear stress is calculated, measured from the center of the shaft cross section
J = polar moment of inertia for the shaft cross section (see above)

You still haven't answered the question about the units of the limiting twist in the shaft (1 [squiggle] in 20 diameters).

Likes loststudent123
its degree so its one degree is the max angle of twist and its over the length of 20 diameters

loststudent123 said:
its degree so its one degree is the max angle of twist and its over the length of 20 diameters
You should be all set.

what should i put in for applied torque?

loststudent123 said:
what should i put in for applied torque?
You know the angle of twist produced by a certain value for T. The max. shear stress in the outer fiber of the shaft also depends on this value of T.

What you want is to find the shear stress in the shaft so that the angle of twist is no more than 1 degree in 20 diameters.

Use algebra to eliminate T from the two formulas.

thank you :)

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act parallel to each other but in opposite directions. It causes the material to deform and ultimately fail if the stress is too high.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface by the cross-sectional area of the material. The resulting unit is usually expressed in Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What factors affect the shear stress on a shaft?

The shear stress on a shaft is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the material properties of the shaft (such as its yield strength and modulus of elasticity), and the geometry of the shaft (such as its diameter and length).

4. How do you design a shaft to withstand shear stress?

To design a shaft that can withstand shear stress, you need to carefully consider the factors that affect shear stress and select a material with suitable properties. You also need to calculate the maximum shear stress that the shaft will experience and ensure that it is below the material's yield strength.

5. What are some common materials used for shafts that need to withstand shear stress?

Some common materials used for shafts that need to withstand shear stress include steel, aluminum, and titanium. These materials have high strength and stiffness, making them suitable for handling high shear stress.