Detecting Lorentz Force: Experiment with Strong Neodymium Magnet

In summary: The solenoid inside the cylinder should experience a changing magnetic field but this does not happen. Why is this not working? I think the current is running parallel to the axis before the Lorentz force produces a spiral path in the current flow.
Samson4
I setup an experiment to detect a magnetic field due to the Lorentz force acting on a current. It is a hollow conducting cylinder with a magnet at one end. With current flowing in the cylinder I approach the negative end with the north pole of the magnet. Using the left hand rule I expected the current to flow in a counterclockwise spiral resulting in a magnetic field through the solenoid. The solenoid inside the cylinder should experience a changing magnetic field but this does not happen. Why is this not working? I'm using a very strong neodymium magnet.
hollow conductor.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the current through the hollow cylinder does? Your drawing shows the current running parallel to the cylinder's axis. If that's the case, it provides no field inside it, so what is its purpose? What did you use to measure the effects of a changing magnetic field through the solenoid? Was it sensitive enough? In experiments of this sort, one needs not only a strong magnet, but also a solenoid of many turns, at least a few hundred. If you really are trying to measure the Lorentz force and not the induced emf, how is your setup going to achieve this goal?

Likes Samson4
I think the current is running parallel to the axis before the lorentz force produces a spiral path in the current flow. I used a N45 and N52 neodymium magnet and got zero results. Then I used a coil of 150 turns instead of the magnet and tried a 10khz frequency to try and detect something. I was trying to measure a magnetic field propagating through the cylinder away from the end where the magnetic field is supplied. The solenoid had 590 turns of 34 awg wire. I've tried applying the magnetic field with the power on and off to be able to differentiate between induced emf and a magnetic field produced by the spiraling charges.

With the power off/on or the cylinder absent altogether; I don't notice any difference in the output of the solenoid when using a voltmeter or with the solenoid connect to a pair of sensitive headphones.

1. How does the experiment with a strong neodymium magnet detect Lorentz force?

The experiment involves passing an electric current through a wire in the presence of a strong neodymium magnet. This creates a magnetic field around the wire, and the Lorentz force causes the wire to move in a direction perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a strong neodymium magnet, a wire, a power source, and a way to measure the movement of the wire (such as a ruler or a motion sensor).

3. What is the significance of detecting Lorentz force?

Lorentz force is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used to explain the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields. By detecting Lorentz force, we can better understand the interactions between electricity and magnetism and apply this knowledge to various technologies such as motors and generators.

4. How can the strength of the neodymium magnet affect the results of the experiment?

The strength of the neodymium magnet will affect the magnitude of the Lorentz force experienced by the wire. A stronger magnet will produce a larger force, resulting in a greater movement of the wire. However, the other factors such as the current and the length of the wire also play a role in the overall results of the experiment.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to handle the strong neodymium magnet with caution as it can cause injuries if mishandled. It is also important to ensure that the power source is not overloaded and that all wires are properly insulated to avoid electrical shocks. It is recommended to conduct this experiment under the supervision of a trained professional.