Determinant of 3x3 matrices: Is a matrix with all odd entries a multiple of 4?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a 3x3 matrix with all odd entries will have a determinant that is a multiple of 4. The individual sets up a matrix A with all odd entries and defines a matrix B by adding the multiple of the first row to the second and third rows. They then mention using the Rule of Sarrus as a more straightforward method for calculating the determinant. Additionally, they suggest simplifying the representation of the matrix with odd numbers by using 2a+1, 2b+1, etc. Finally, they ask the individual to consider what can be said about the determinant of a 2x2 matrix consisting of only even numbers.
fox1
I need to prove that a 3x3 matrix with all odd entries will have a determinant that is a multiple of 4.

This is how I set it up:

20fuqo9.jpg

I let A = { {a, b, c}, {d, e, f}, {g, h, i} } with all odd entries

then I define B = { {a, b, c}, {d + na, e + nb, f + nc}, {g + ma, h + bm, i + cm} }
where I add the multiple of first row to second and third row. So only the first row will have odd integers entries while the second and third row will be even entries.

det(A) = det(B) since adding multiple of one row to another doesn't change the determinant

After this I was going to show that the each of three 2x2 matrix will have a even determinants. This is where I'm kind of stuck. I can show that the determinant of 3x3 will be even, but how can I show that it will be a multiple of 4?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IDK why you are using row operations and minors to calculate a 3x3 determinant. Certainly, the row operations complicate the calculation.

The Rule of Sarrus is a more straightforward method for calculating the determinant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Sarrus

Maybe think about what happens when most of the entries are even and what you can say about the product of two even numbers.

fox1 said:
then I define B = { {a, b, c}, {d + na, e + nb, f + nc}, {g + ma, h + bm, i + cm} }
where I add the multiple of first row to second and third row. So only the first row will have odd integers entries while the second and third row will be even entries.
You're overcomplicating things. Why the arbitrary n and m? What's wrong with n=m=1?

Your main problem with this problem is that you aren't representing that matrix as consisting of odd numbers only. Instead of a use 2a+1; for b use 2b+1, etc.

What can you say about the determinant of a 2x2 matrix that consists of only even numbers? (What is it a multiple of?)

What is the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix is a numerical value that can be calculated using a specific formula. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix and can provide important information about the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

How do you calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix can be calculated using the "cross-multiplication" method. This involves multiplying the elements in the main diagonal (top-left to bottom-right) and subtracting the product of the elements in the secondary diagonal (top-right to bottom-left).

Why is the determinant of a 3x3 matrix important?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix is important because it can provide information about the matrix's properties, such as its invertibility, rank, and whether it has linearly independent columns. It is also used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving systems of equations and finding areas and volumes.

What does a positive/negative determinant of a 3x3 matrix indicate?

A positive determinant of a 3x3 matrix indicates that the matrix is "right-handed," meaning its columns follow a counter-clockwise rotation. A negative determinant indicates that the matrix is "left-handed," meaning its columns follow a clockwise rotation. These orientations have important geometric implications in linear algebra and physics.

Can you find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix with non-numeric elements?

No, the determinant of a 3x3 matrix can only be calculated if all of its elements are numeric. If the matrix contains variables or other non-numeric elements, the determinant cannot be determined and is instead represented by a symbol.