Identifying matrices as REF, RREF, or neither

crememars
Thread moved from the technical math forums to the schoolwork forum
TL;DR Summary: we are given a set of coefficient matrices (shown below) and we need to determine whether they are in REF, RREF, or neither.

Hello! I am having a lot of trouble identifying these matrices, and using the criteria checklist is not helping very much. Here is what I am working with:

Matrix A =
0 0 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

*I think this would be RREF. It has a leading 1 with no non-zero entries above or below it. The two zero rows are confusing me a little though.

Matrix B =
0 0
0 0
0 0

*This one has no leading entries at all, so does it automatically classify as neither REF nor RREF?

Matrix C =
0 0 1

*This matrix has only one row. We did not learn much about exceptions in class, but I feel as if matrices consist of at least more than two equations. Therefore, this matrix should be in neither form. If my reasoning is wrong, then I think that this might be RREF, since there is a leading 1 with no non-zero entries below or above it.

I would sincerely appreciate any help with these problems. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
crememars said:
*This matrix has only one row. We did not learn much about exceptions in class, but I feel as if matrices consist of at least more than two equations.
A matrix can have as few as one row or as few as one column. A matrix can represent a system of one or more equations, but it does not consist of equations.

How does your book define the terms REF (row-echelon form) and RREF (reduced row-echelon form)?
Since all three matrices you showed can't be simplified further, I would say that all three are RREF.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

What is a matrix in REF form?

A matrix is in Row Echelon Form (REF) if it satisfies the following conditions: 1) All zero rows, if any, are at the bottom of the matrix. 2) The leading entry of each nonzero row is in a column to the right of the leading entry of the previous row. 3) All entries below the leading entry of a nonzero row are zeros.

What is a matrix in RREF form?

A matrix is in Reduced Row Echelon Form (RREF) if it is in REF form and additionally satisfies the following conditions: 1) The leading entry in each nonzero row is 1. 2) Each leading 1 is the only nonzero entry in its column.

How do you identify if a matrix is in REF form?

To identify if a matrix is in REF form, start from the top-left corner and check for the conditions mentioned earlier. If the matrix satisfies all the conditions, it is in REF form.

How do you identify if a matrix is in RREF form?

To identify if a matrix is in RREF form, follow the steps to check if it is in REF form first. Then, verify if the additional conditions for RREF are met. If all conditions are satisfied, the matrix is in RREF form.

What should I do if a matrix does not fit the criteria for REF or RREF form?

If a matrix does not fit the criteria for REF or RREF form, it is considered neither. In this case, the matrix may require further row operations to transform it into either REF or RREF form.