Determinants and Rank: Solving for det(A) Given Rank(A)=4

In summary: A}})\) is not equal to 0, the only possible solution is \(\det({\bf{A}})=1\).In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the determinant of a 4x4 matrix A is equal to -1, given that the rank of A is 4 and the fact that det(A^2) = det(-A). The conclusion is that the determinant must be equal to 1, as det(A) cannot be equal to 0.
Yankel
Hello

I have a question, I think I solved it, and I would like to confirm...

Let A be a 4X4 matrix with and let rank(A)=4.
It is known that det(A^2) = det(-A)
Is det(A)=-1 ?

I think the answer is no.

det(A)*det(A)=det(-A)
det(A)*det(A)=(-1)^4 * det(A) = det(A)
det(A)*det(A) = det(A)

this is true only when det(A)=1 or det(A)=0. The later can't be since rank(A)=4, so det(A)=1. Am I correct ?

(Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello

I have a question, I think I solved it, and I would like to confirm...

Let A be a 4X4 matrix with and let rank(A)=4.
It is known that det(A^2) = det(-A)
Is det(A)=-1 ?

I think the answer is no.

det(A)*det(A)=det(-A)
det(A)*det(A)=(-1)^4 * det(A) = det(A)
det(A)*det(A) = det(A)

this is true only when det(A)=1 or det(A)=0. The later can't be since rank(A)=4, so det(A)=1. Am I correct ?

(Thinking)

For a matrix \(\bf{A}\) of dimension \(2n\times 2n,\ n \in \mathbb{N}_+\): \(\det(-{\bf{A}})=\det({\bf{A}})\).

So you have the equality \([\det({\bf{A}})]^2=\det({\bf{A}})\), and also \(\det({\bf{A}}) \ne 0\)

CB

Last edited:

Related to Determinants and Rank: Solving for det(A) Given Rank(A)=4

1. What are determinants?

Determinants are mathematical values that are used to describe certain properties of matrices. They are useful in solving systems of linear equations, finding the inverse of a matrix, and calculating the area or volume of geometric shapes.

2. How do you calculate a determinant?

The most common way to calculate a determinant is by using the Laplace expansion method. This involves breaking down the matrix into smaller matrices and performing operations on them. Another method is by using Gaussian elimination, which is a simpler and more efficient method for larger matrices.

3. What is the significance of determinants?

Determinants have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to solve real-world problems involving systems of linear equations and to analyze the behavior of systems in various scenarios.

4. Can determinants be negative?

Yes, determinants can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the arrangement of the elements in the matrix and can be positive, negative, or zero. A negative determinant indicates that the matrix has an odd number of negative eigenvalues.

5. What is the relationship between determinants and eigenvalues?

Determinants and eigenvalues are closely related. The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues, and the eigenvalues can be found by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix. Determinants are also used to determine the invertibility of a matrix, which is related to its eigenvalues.