Determination of specific heat in a reaction

In summary, the conversation is about determining the specific heat of a reaction before it is introduced. The initial question is if there is a way to calculate it, to which the response is to either calculate it or use results from a previous experiment. The conversation then moves on to discussing a specific example of a baking soda and vinegar reaction and determining the approximate amount of heat given off. The solution is to use the standard enthalpy of formation for each substance involved. Finally, the conversation concludes with a clarification of the project being purely educational and a request for knowledge on finding the heat given off by a reaction using the standard enthalpy of formation.
thisguy
Is there a way to determine the specific heat of a reaction before said reaction is introduced. thanks in advance for all of your inputs.

Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "before"? You can calculate it. Or run an experiment somewhere else and use this result to predict what will happen.

Do you have a specific reaction you're wanting to know about?

No, I don't have a specific reaction in mind. But, for instance, a baking soda and vinegar volcano. My question is without ever have mixed the ingredients, can I determine the approximate amount of heat given off? Thank you for your comments.

My research is in alternative methods for steam powered turbines on a very small scale. This project is purely educational as I am not currently in school nor do I have a job demanding this expertise. As I can easily make sodium hydroxide at home I will probably try to use that as 1 ingredient. I wish not for trial and error, as I said, home project, may not even get off the ground. I am looking for a formula that can measure the approx. heat given off by the reaction before I cause the reaction. thank you for your comments.

Ok, now I understand. Thank you mfb for helping me.

Do you know anything about chemistry and how to find the amount of heat given off by a reaction when given the standard ethalpy of formation for each substance?

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

Why is it important to determine the specific heat in a reaction?

Determining the specific heat in a reaction allows us to understand how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a substance, which is crucial in many industrial and scientific applications.

How is specific heat measured in a reaction?

Specific heat is measured by conducting a reaction in a controlled environment, measuring the change in temperature, and using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors can affect the specific heat in a reaction?

The specific heat in a reaction can be affected by the type of substance, its temperature, and the presence of impurities or other substances that can act as catalysts.

How can knowing the specific heat in a reaction be applied in real life?

Knowing the specific heat in a reaction can be applied in various fields such as cooking, industrial processes, and material testing. It can also help in understanding the energy requirements and efficiency of different substances in different reactions.