Exploring Oscillating Electric Fields for Dipolar Molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of selectively heating specific molecules or cells within a liquid or solid mixture. While it may be possible to heat specific molecules in a vacuum using a specific microwave frequency, it is not possible to selectively heat molecules in a solution due to constant interaction between all molecules. However, there are potential methods being researched, such as using functionalized magnetic nanoparticles, to selectively target and heat certain cells within an organ.
maayan_aloni
Hi all!
I was wondering,
Is it possible, given a specific dipolar molecule, to create the perfect oscillating electric field so as to heat it and not, i.e. the water around it?
What I'm basically asking is could there exist a specific microwave just for X and not all dipolar molecules without differentiation? Does every dipolar molecule have its own ideal frequency? And if so- how specific could it be? (asking mainly in the interest of heating everything BUT water).
Thank u all in advance!
Maayan.

Science news on Phys.org
If you have a certain molecule in a vacuum (in say a dilute gas) you should -at least in theory- be able to "heat" specific molecules/atoms it (give them more kinetic energy); essentially it is just the inverse of laser/Dopler cooling (although you would probably use lasers, not MW)

If you are asking if you can "selectively" heat a certain species of molecules that are part of a solution, the answer if no. All molecules in a liquid (or solid) constantly interact meaning the whole liquid will have the same temperature.

Likes vanhees71 and maayan_aloni
Likes maayan_aloni
f95toli said:
If you have a certain molecule in a vacuum (in say a dilute gas) you should -at least in theory- be able to "heat" specific molecules/atoms it (give them more kinetic energy); essentially it is just the inverse of laser/Dopler cooling (although you would probably use lasers, not MW)

If you are asking if you can "selectively" heat a certain species of molecules that are part of a solution, the answer if no. All molecules in a liquid (or solid) constantly interact meaning the whole liquid will have the same temperature.
hi! Thanks for the answer!
And if we are talking about human tissue i.e. liver tissue and a certain polarized sugar within it? Liver tissue isn't exactly a solution, more like a semi-solid mixture I would say?
I'm basically looking for new ways to heat specific cells within an organ, more than others.
Maayan

maayan_aloni said:
hi! Thanks for the answer!
And if we are talking about human tissue i.e. liver tissue and a certain polarized sugar within it? Liver tissue isn't exactly a solution, more like a semi-solid mixture I would say?
I'm basically looking for new ways to heat specific cells within an organ, more than others.
Maayan

No, you still need something that is more selective.
If you are talking about targeting specific cell types (as opposed to specific regions of the body) one possible method is to use functionalised magnetic nanoparticles. These are coated with biomarkers that bind to certain cells. An external magnetic field can then activate the nanoparticles and cause them to e.g. deliver a drug. This is AFAIK still only at the R&D stage
Years ago I did see suggestions that magnetic nanoparticles could be also used to create very local heating by simple inductive heating; I don't know if that is still something that is being pursued.

1. What are oscillating electric fields and how do they affect dipolar molecules?

Oscillating electric fields are alternating electric fields that change direction and magnitude over time. These fields can cause dipolar molecules, which have a positive and negative charge separated by a distance, to rotate and align with the direction of the field.

2. What is the purpose of exploring oscillating electric fields for dipolar molecules?

The purpose of exploring oscillating electric fields for dipolar molecules is to better understand the behavior and properties of these molecules. This research can also have practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

3. How are oscillating electric fields created and controlled in experiments?

Oscillating electric fields can be created using specialized equipment such as electrodes or antennas that generate high-frequency electromagnetic radiation. The frequency and strength of the fields can be controlled through various parameters, such as the voltage and distance between the electrodes or the frequency of the radiation.

4. What types of dipolar molecules are commonly studied in relation to oscillating electric fields?

Some commonly studied dipolar molecules in relation to oscillating electric fields include water, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen fluoride. These molecules have strong dipole moments and are commonly found in nature and in various industrial processes.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding oscillating electric fields for dipolar molecules?

Understanding the behavior of dipolar molecules in oscillating electric fields can have practical applications in various fields such as chemical synthesis, materials science, and medical imaging. It can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as sensors and actuators, that utilize dipolar molecules.