Determination of the molecular structure of two organic compounds

Sommerfeld_01
Homework Statement
(It's a translation from spanish). A compound 'A' has the molecular formula C7H8O. This compound is insoluble in water, diluted HCl, and an aqueous solution of NaHCO3. However, it is soluble in an aqueous solution of NaOH. When compound 'A' is treated with bromine water at room temperature, compound 'B' is rapidly formed with the molecular formula C7H5OBr3. What are the structures of compounds 'A' and 'B'?
Relevant Equations
C7H8O + Br2 + H2O ---> C7H5OBr3
I've figured out that both compounds have 4 unsaturations. The fact that they are insoluble in water makes me think they might have a benzene ring. When bromine water is added (I found out online that it's Br2 in water), perhaps some hydrogens from the benzene ring might be replaced. However, I'm not entirely sure how to use the rest of the information to determine the position of the oxygen and the extra carbon, or if the reaction I'm suggesting is correct. So, I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to some sources to learn how to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are very good resources - google C7H8O then follow the link to Pubchem - this gets you further along.
Formulas written like C7H8O can represent more than one molecule or isomers sometimes.

Otherwise it is a matter of trial and error and not necessarily efficient.

The solubility information tells you about what functional groups might be present in the molecule. For instance, solubility in acids generally denotes basic functional groups, while solubility in base denotes acidic functional groups.

Also, do you know what kinds of organic compounds react with bromine water? Specifically, what kinds of benzene derivatives? (you're on the right track with the benzene ring)

Your explanation led me to consider C6H5CH2OH (benzyl alcohol) as compound 'A,' which should have a slight acidic nature. Moreover, I recently learned that benzene derivatives capable of reacting with bromine water are those containing activating groups and it should generate 1,3,5-Tribromophenylmethanol. I truly appreciate your guidance.

I’m not sure this is right. The -CH2OH group is not particularly activating to the phenyl ring. There is a far more strongly activating group that you should consider.

Sorry for not answering sooner. I've been a little busy, so I've been taking a deeper look at activating and deactivating groups. I believe the answer to the problem might be 3-methylphenol for compound 'A', and 2,4,6-tribromo-5-methylphenol for compound 'B'. Again, I'm thankful for the feedback

Why would the methyl group have changed position upon reaction with bromine water?

Edit: to be clear, you’re likely not going to get any stereochemical information out of these experiments. But you should still think about the question above as it relates to your OP.

Sorry, I made a mistake in naming it. Although it really don't change the position of the methyl in the name I gave, since it's a cyclic structure, in both cases the methyl it's just a carbon away from the OH, but you're right I should have started counting towards the methyl group, so the name of compound 'B' would be 2,4,6-tribromo-3-methylphenol

Likes TeethWhitener

1. What is the purpose of determining the molecular structure of two organic compounds?

The purpose of determining the molecular structure of two organic compounds is to understand the arrangement of atoms and bonds within the molecules. This information is important in predicting the physical and chemical properties of the compounds, as well as their reactivity and potential applications.

2. How is the molecular structure of two organic compounds determined?

The molecular structure of two organic compounds is determined through a variety of techniques, including spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to analyze the interactions between atoms and determine the three-dimensional structure of the molecules.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the molecular structure of two organic compounds?

The accuracy of determining the molecular structure of two organic compounds can be affected by a number of factors, such as the purity of the sample, the quality of the instrumentation used, and the expertise of the scientists performing the analysis. Additionally, some compounds may be more difficult to analyze due to their size or complexity.

4. What are some common applications of knowing the molecular structure of two organic compounds?

Knowing the molecular structure of two organic compounds can have a wide range of applications, including drug design, material science, and environmental studies. It can also aid in the development of new products and technologies, as well as in understanding the mechanisms of chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the molecular structure of two organic compounds?

While there have been significant advancements in techniques for determining the molecular structure of two organic compounds, there are still limitations. Some compounds may be too complex or unstable to be accurately analyzed, and certain techniques may not be suitable for certain types of molecules. Additionally, the interpretation of results can be subjective and may require further validation.