Determine air conditioning cooling time

In summary, an air conditioner will remove energy from the room at a certain rate, depending upon the power of the motor. You will also have to factor in the rate at which air in the room is exchanged. You can then work out the time.
cktan22
how can i calculate the require time for an air-conditioning unit to cool from 30 degree celcius to 22 degree celcius? others parameter can be ignore, i would like to know the formula used and the principal of calculation. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
cktan22 said:
how can i calculate the require time for an air-conditioning unit to cool from 30 degree celcius to 22 degree celcius? others parameter can be ignore, i would like to know the formula used and the principle of calculation. thanks
You have to find out the rate at which the air conditioner removes energy from the room and the volume of air in the room. You will also have to factor in the rate at which air in the room is exchanged. You can then work out the time. If you provide those numbers we can help you calculate the time.

AM

room size : 3 m x 7 m, height 3 m
heat load : 10000 btu/h
cfm : 644
velocity: 6 m/s
temperature : from 30 celcius to 22 celcius
chilled water flow rate : 30.8 liter/minute
altitude : sea level

But what about the spec of the A/C unit? That's a very important factor.
An Air Con is a heat pump which will shift heat at a certain rate, depending upon the Power of the motor. They vary greatly in (what we could loosely call) efficiency.
Look up "Heating Seasonal Performance Factor" and "Coefficient of Performance".

Also, internal heat load and heat transfer from outside may play a significant role.

cktan22 said:
room size : 3 m x 7 m, height 3 m
heat load : 10000 btu/h
cfm : 644
velocity: 6 m/s
temperature : from 30 celcius to 22 celcius
chilled water flow rate : 30.8 liter/minute
altitude : sea level
Ok. You have a mixture of units so I will use the MKS units. 10000 BTU/h = 2.9 kW = 2900 J/sec.

I am not sure what the heat load means but since I asked for the rate at which energy is removed from the room, I will assume that this is that rate.

Volume of air in room = 63 m3;
Pressure = 1 atm = 101325 Pa;
Initial T =303K
number of moles of air in room = n = PV/RT = 2534 mol.

The heat capacity of air at constant pressure is Cp = 7R/2 = 29 J/mol K

So to reduce the temperature of that room of air by 8 degrees you have to remove:

Q = 29nΔT = 29 x 2534 x 8 = 588,000 Joules

Since the air conditioner removes 2900 Joules/sec. you would need 588000/2900 = 203 seconds or about 3.5 minutes to cool that room.

I take it that you wanted a ballpark figure. The above assumes that the air flow through the cooling coils of the air conditioner is optimal, ignores the slight increase in mass of the room air as temperature decreases at constant pressure, and ignores the need to remove heat from that extra mass.

AM

Likes Alessandra Buso
Heat load is the heat added to the room by electrical devices and people(etc) in it.

...I missed that it was provided in a follow-up.

Related to Determine air conditioning cooling time

1. How long does it take for an air conditioner to cool a room?

The time it takes for an air conditioner to cool a room depends on several factors, such as the size of the room, the efficiency of the air conditioner, and the outside temperature. Generally, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour for an air conditioner to cool a room.

2. What is the ideal temperature setting for air conditioning?

The ideal temperature setting for air conditioning is typically between 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit. This range is comfortable for most people and also helps to save energy and reduce electricity costs.

3. How can I calculate the cooling time for my specific room?

To calculate the cooling time for your specific room, you can use a simple formula: (Room Volume x 20)/Air Conditioner Capacity = Cooling Time. This will give you an estimated time in minutes for your air conditioner to cool the room.

4. Does the age of an air conditioner affect its cooling time?

Yes, the age of an air conditioner can affect its cooling time. As air conditioners get older, they may become less efficient and take longer to cool a room. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help improve the cooling time of an older air conditioner.

5. Can I speed up the cooling time of my air conditioner?

Yes, there are a few ways to speed up the cooling time of your air conditioner. You can try closing doors and windows in the room being cooled, using a fan to circulate the cool air, and keeping curtains or blinds closed to block out sunlight. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of your air conditioner can also help improve its efficiency and cooling time.