Determine center point of offset circle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates for the center point of an offset circle. The dimensions available are shown in the image, with the dimension labeled as X. The point at the left of the arc is a quadrant, making the circle center 2.27 away from the line with a dimension of 3. The value of X is 2.47 and a mathematical relation is being sought after. The significance of the line with length 3 is discussed and the OP indicates that there is enough information to solve the problem. The circle is tangent at the upper left point and the equation is (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 where point (a,b) is the center of the circle of
examorph
I am working on an algorithm which requires the coordinates for the center point of an offset circle. Dimensions available to find this are shown in the image below and the dimension required is labeled as X:
Circle Centre.JPG

The point at the very left of the arc is a quadrant therefore, the circle center also 2.27 away from the line with a dimension of 3. The actual value of x in this example is 2.47 (rounded), this was found using CAD however, I am trying to find an mathematical relation for this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, what is the significance of the line with length 3? At the moment all I'm seeing is an arc of a partial circle and then a line which doesn't seem to have any bearing on the characteristics of the circle.

I apologize for the confusion. Where I said "Circle" I should have said "Arc". All dimensions shown above are just what are available and not necessarily needed to determine the center point of the arc however, I think that in the case of the line with length 3, it would be useful as the combination of this with the distance 2.27 shows coordinates to a point on the arc.

It's an arc of a circle just to be clear though. We could always have drawn in the rest of this circle with dotted lines. So then the right end of the line segment of length 3 lies on this circle, correct?

edit: But then if that were the case, then the value of x would simply be (4.5-3)+3/2 = 3.

Unless there is some particular reason as to why the segment has a given length of 3, then the question can't be answered.

Last edited:
Actaully, there is sufficient information. Recall the 4.5 dimension.

OP indicates that radius is tangent at upper left point (let's call it point "A").
Let's use that point (A) as an origin in the x,y plane.

The equation of a circle is (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 where point (a,b) is the center of the circle of radius r.

Since circle is tangent at point A, then a = r and the center lies on this axis, thus, b = 0.

The coorindates of the lower right point (let's call it "B") is as follows
x_b = 4.5 - 3.0 = 1.5
y_b = -2.27

Thus, the circle must satisfy
(x_b - a)^2 + (y_b - b)^2 = r^2
or
(x_b - r)^2 + (y_b - 0)^2 = r^2

==> r = ( (x_b)^2 + (y_b)^2 ) / ( 2 * x_b)

numerically,
r = 1.5^2 + (-2.27)^2 / (2 * 1.5)
= 2.47

Ahh you're right! Good work!

What is an offset circle?

An offset circle is a circle that is not centered at the origin or at any other point on the coordinate plane. It is created by shifting a regular circle a certain distance away from its center point.

What is the center point of an offset circle?

The center point of an offset circle is the point that is equidistant from all points on the circle. It is the point where the perpendicular bisectors of any two chords intersect.

How is the center point of an offset circle determined?

The center point of an offset circle can be determined by finding the midpoint of any two chords on the circle and drawing a line through those midpoints. The point where that line intersects with the circle is the center point.

Why is it important to determine the center point of an offset circle?

Determining the center point of an offset circle is important in order to accurately measure and analyze the circle's properties, such as its radius and circumference. It is also necessary in order to create symmetrical designs or shapes using offset circles.

What tools or methods can be used to determine the center point of an offset circle?

One method is to use a compass and straightedge to construct the perpendicular bisectors of two chords on the circle. Another method is to use coordinate geometry and the distance formula to calculate the center point. There are also software programs that can automatically determine the center point of an offset circle.