Finding the Center of a Circle

In summary: Once you have them, draw a line between the two points and bisect it with another line. Do this again for a second pair of points. The intersection of these two bisectors will give you the center of the circle. Alternatively, you can use a formula to calculate the center based on the known diameter and a single point within the red area.
OSUstudent
Hello!

I have an application where I need to find the center of a circle where I am having trouble coming up with a simple way to do this. The diameter of the circle is known and i want to be able to determine the location of it where only a portion of the circle is known. (see the image below) I will know the location of a single point anywhere in the red circumference could anyone help me with this?
1623225283571.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Draw the straight line between two points on the circle. Draw the line bisecting that straight line. Do the same with a second pair of points. The two bisectors intersect at the center of the circle.

Thank you for your reply! I am looking for a formula that i could use to calculate where the center of the circle is based on the known diameter and a single point that resides in the red area. Sorry i should have meant to say in the original post that i was looking for a simple formula.

Runner74 said:
Thank you for your reply! I am looking for a formula that i could use to calculate where the center of the circle is based on the known diameter and a single point that resides in the red area. Sorry i should have meant to say in the original post that i was looking for a simple formula.

You're going to need at least two distinct points on the red arc of the circle to find its center.

1. What is the center of a circle?

The center of a circle is the point that is equidistant from all points on the circumference of the circle. It is often denoted by the letter "O" and is the midpoint of the diameter of the circle.

2. How do you find the center of a circle?

To find the center of a circle, you can use a compass to draw two intersecting chords or diameters. The point where the chords or diameters intersect is the center of the circle.

3. Can you find the center of a circle without drawing chords or diameters?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the center of a circle. One method is to draw three non-collinear chords or diameters and find the point where they intersect. Another method is to use the properties of a tangent line, where the center of the circle lies on the perpendicular bisector of the tangent line.

4. What is the importance of finding the center of a circle?

Finding the center of a circle is important in geometry and engineering. It is used to construct and measure circles, as well as to find the radius and circumference of a circle. The center of a circle is also used in various calculations, such as finding the area and volume of a circle.

5. Can the center of a circle be outside of the circle?

No, the center of a circle must always lie on the circumference or within the circle. If the center is outside of the circle, it is not a true circle but rather a different type of geometric shape.