Determine depth of a well using the speed of sound

In summary, the solution to the problem is 95.0m. The correct equation to use is 340t=1/2(9.8m/s^2)(4.68-t)^2, which results in the correct solution. The mistake was a sign error in the quadratic equation used.
slurik

Homework Statement

If you drop a stone into a deep well and hear a splash 4.68s after dropping the stone, how far down is the water level? Neglect air resistance and assume that the speed of the sound in air is 3.40x10^2 m/s

Homework Equations

v=d/t
d=v1t+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I had a shot at:

for sound:
v=d/t
d=vt
d=340t

for the stone:
d=v1t+1/2at^2
d=0(4.86s)+1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(4.86-t)^2

for the system:
d=d
so:
340t=1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(4.68-t)^2
340t=-4.9m/s^2 (t^2-9.36t+21.9024)
340t=-4.9t^2+45.864t-107.32176
0=-4.9t^2-294.136t-107.32176

Using that quadratic, I substitute it into the quadratic formula and obtain 2 extraneous solutions:
t=-59.6606...s or t=-0.367sI can see that the amount of time it will take the sound to reach the observers ear is very small in comparison to the amount of time it will take the rock to fall to the bottom. as such, I expect t to be very small since sound is traveling at 340m/s. also I noticed that 1/2at^2 is = approx 107m. The best result I have come up with is 124m, which exceeds the above mentioned result.

The solution sheet says 95.0m

*slams head into desk*

Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a sign mistake. The lefthand side is positive when t>0 while the righthand side is negative because you used a=-9.8 m/s^2.

Gah! Thanks so much. Sometimes signs get the better of me when I've been working a long time. I have found the solution. Many thanks again! Time for a break perhaps.

1. How does sound speed help determine the depth of a well?

The speed of sound is directly related to the density of the medium it is traveling through. In a well, the speed of sound will increase as it travels through the more dense water and decrease as it reaches the less dense air. By measuring the speed of sound at different depths, the depth of the well can be calculated.

2. What equipment is needed to measure the speed of sound in a well?

A specialized tool called a sonic or acoustic well logger is used to measure the speed of sound in a well. It consists of a transmitter that emits sound waves and a receiver that detects the waves and calculates the speed. This tool is typically lowered into the well on a cable.

3. Can the speed of sound be affected by factors other than depth in a well?

Yes, the speed of sound can also be influenced by temperature and pressure changes in the well. For accurate measurements, these factors must be taken into account and adjusted for.

4. What are the limitations of using sound speed to determine the depth of a well?

The accuracy of this method can be affected by the presence of gas or air pockets in the water, which can alter the speed of sound. Additionally, any changes in the well's diameter or shape can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining the depth of a well?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a depth gauge or well video logging that can also provide accurate measurements of well depth. However, the speed of sound method is often preferred due to its non-invasiveness and ability to measure depth without physically entering the well.