Determine energy levels of a electron in a hydrogen atom

In summary, the equation for calculating the energy of a photon emitted from an electron in a hydrogen atom is:E = (-hcR/n^2)n^2.
Jonas Persson

Homework Statement

When an electron in a hydrogen atom makes a transiton between two levels with prinicipal quantum numbers n1 and n2, light is emitted with wavelength of 658.1 nm. If we assume that the energy levels of the atom are in agreement with the Bohr model, what are n1 and n2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate:
E = hc/λ = 3.022 * 10-19
which is the Energy for the wavelength.

E = -hcR/n^2

n^2 = -hcR/E
n^2 = -R/λ
which result in negative value(?)

Then I tried with
λ = (n1^2 - n2^2)/R

but then I always get two unknowns, and can't really come any further than that. Maybe I am looking in the wrong way or missing some theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonas Persson said:
Assignment
When an electron in a hydrogen atom makes a transiton between two levels with prinicipal quantum numbers n1 and n2, light is emitted with wavelength of 658.1 nm. If we assume that the energy levels of the atom are in agreement with the Bohr model, what are n1 and n2?

Attempt
I tried to calculate:
E = hc/λ = 3.022 * 10-19

E = -hcR/n^2

n^2 = -hcR/E
n^2 = -R/λ

Then I tried with
λ = (n1^2 - n2^2)/R

but then I always get two unknowns, and can't really come any further than that. Maybe I am looking in the wrong way or missing some theory.

First, get straight what the story is of how the photon is produced:

1. The electron originally has energy [itex]E_1[/itex] (which can be written in terms of the quantum number [itex]n_1[/itex])
  2. It emits a photon of energy [itex]E[/itex] (which you calculate above).
  3. Afterward, the electron has energy [itex]E_2[/itex] (which can be written in terms of [itex]n_2[/itex])
So by conservation of energy, what is the relationship between [itex]E_1, E_2[/itex] and [itex]E[/itex]?

You're right, you will have two unknowns, [itex]n_1[/itex] and [itex]n_2[/itex]. But they are positive integers. So you can just try various values for [itex]n_1[/itex] and [itex]n_2[/itex] to see which combination works.

Likes lekh2003
Jonas Persson said:
Assignment
Jonas Persson said:
Attempt
I tried to calculate:
E = hc/λ = 3.022 * 10-19

E = -hcR/n^2

n^2 = -hcR/E
n^2 = -R/λ

Then I tried with

λ = (n1^2 - n2^2)/R

You use wrong formula. The wavelength is attributed to two levels, according to the Rydberg formula.
25b1437b6d7203b25493f3a6b399aaf2c591e352

where Z is the atomic number (1 for Hydrogen atom) and n , n' are the energy levels, n'<n. R is the Rydberg constant. (RH = 0.010972 nm-1)

rude man said:
I tried adjacent orbits - no luck!
Don't expect the equation is exactly valid for any pair of n and n', but the emitted light is visible, what can be n'?

ehild said:
Don't expect the equation is exactly valid for any pair of n and n', but the emitted light is visible, what can be n'?
Once n is picked, n' is easy to determine - but how to pick n other than by trial and error?

rude man said:
Once n is picked, n' is easy to determine - but how to pick n other than by trial and error?
You know the wavelength ranges of the emission lines of Hydrogen atom. They are well separated according to the lower level. Emission in the visible range corresponds to the Balmer series, with n'=2 as lower level.

Last edited:
Likes rude man
stevendaryl said:
You're right, you will have two unknowns, n1n1n_1 and n2n2n_2. But they are positive integers. So you can just try various values for n1n1n_1 and n2n2n_2 to see which combination works.
I think this solution is the simplest. If you are learning about electron transitions, then you must surely have learned about the different series. Either you can check your textbook (or online) for the energy values of the different transitions from different "n" states.

The value you calculate, E, is simply the difference between energy states. If you still don't understand what the value of E really is, take a look at this link:
http://www.kentchemistry.com/links/AtomicStructure/waveenergy.htm

Re search: something like this perhaps. Spot the 'candidate' !

## \begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|}
\hline & m & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 \\
\hline n \\
\hline 1 & & & 0.750 & 0.889 & 0.938 & 0.960\\
\hline 2 & & & & 0.139 & 0.188 & 0.210\\
\hline 3 & & & & &0.049 & 0.071\\
\hline 4 & & & & & & 0.023\\
\hline
\end{array}##

Likes lekh2003

1. How do you determine the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom can be determined using the Rydberg formula, which is E = -13.6/n2 electron volts (eV), where n is the principal quantum number. This formula calculates the energy of the electron in each energy level, with n = 1 being the ground state and higher values of n representing excited states.

2. What is the significance of the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom represent the allowed states that the electron can occupy. These energy levels are quantized, meaning that only certain values are possible, and they determine the behavior and properties of the atom. They also play a crucial role in understanding atomic spectra and the behavior of atoms in chemical reactions.

3. How do the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom relate to its atomic orbitals?

The energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom correspond to the different atomic orbitals, which are regions of space where the electron is likely to be found. The ground state has one orbital, the 1s orbital, while higher energy levels have multiple orbitals of different shapes and orientations, such as 2s, 2p, 3s, etc.

4. How does the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom change when it absorbs or emits light?

When an electron in a hydrogen atom absorbs energy, it jumps to a higher energy level. This energy corresponds to the difference between the two energy levels, and it is released when the electron returns to its original energy level. This emitted energy can be in the form of light, which is why the energy levels of hydrogen are important in understanding atomic spectra.

5. How do the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom change when it interacts with other atoms or molecules?

The energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom can change when it interacts with other atoms or molecules through processes like chemical bonding or collisions. These interactions can cause the electron to gain or lose energy, resulting in a change in its energy level. However, the overall energy of the electron in a hydrogen atom is still determined by the Rydberg formula and its principal quantum number, n.