Determine Field Gradient of a Stern Gerlach Magnet....

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the field gradient of a Stem-Gerlach magnet to produce a 1-mm separation between spin-up and spin-down silver atoms emitted from an oven at T=1500K. The magnetic dipole moment of the silver atom is due to its intrinsic spin. The conversation also mentions the use of kinematic equations to understand the formula for the distance traveled by the atoms outside the magnet.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

Here is the Problem. I have the Solution but am having trouble understanding parts of it.

1.1. Determine the field gradient of a 50-em-long Stem-Gerlach magnet that would produce a 1-mm separation at the detector between spin-up and spin-down silver atoms that are emitted from an oven at T = 1500 K. Assume the detector (see Fig. 1.1) is located 50 em from the magnet. Note: While the atoms in the oven have average kinetic energy 3kBT j2, the more energetic atoms strike the hole in the oven more frequently. Thus the emitted atoms have average kinetic energy 2kBT, where kB is the Boltzmann constant. The magnetic dipole moment of the silver atom is due to the intrinsic spin of the single electron. Appendix F gives the numerical value of the Bohr magneton, in a convenient form.

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The one part I don't understand is this:
?temp_hash=f22fd7ba1bdc435f42600ce1fe9722d1.png

I get that the units work out. But I don't understand why the formula is in this way. particularly the second term that isn't 1/2at^2 but a*t1*t2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 10.56.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 10.56.50 AM.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 847
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you interpret the quantity ##a_z \left(\frac{l_1}{v} \right) = a_z t_1##?

Likes grandpa2390
TSny said:
Can you interpret the quantity ##a_z \left(\frac{l_1}{v} \right) = a_z t_1##?

As always. I stood stumped about the question for days. when I finally ask for help, it clicks.

the first term is the distance traveled up in the magnets.
the second term is the distance traveled up outside the magnets. there is no acceleration it is just vt where v is the velocity after leaving the magnet and t is the time spent outside of the magnet. : )

Yes. Good.

Likes grandpa2390

Related to Determine Field Gradient of a Stern Gerlach Magnet....

1. What is a Stern Gerlach magnet?

A Stern Gerlach magnet is a device used to measure the magnetic moment of subatomic particles, such as electrons. It consists of a strong magnetic field that is directed perpendicular to the direction of particle motion.

2. How is the field gradient of a Stern Gerlach magnet determined?

The field gradient of a Stern Gerlach magnet is determined by measuring the deflection of particles passing through the magnet. By comparing the deflection of particles with known magnetic moments, the field gradient can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the field gradient of a Stern Gerlach magnet?

The field gradient of a Stern Gerlach magnet can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the orientation of the magnet, and any external magnetic fields present. It can also be affected by the size and shape of the magnet.

4. Why is the field gradient important in a Stern Gerlach experiment?

The field gradient is important in a Stern Gerlach experiment because it determines the amount of deflection that particles will experience. This allows for the measurement of the magnetic moment of particles and can provide insight into their properties and behavior.

5. How is the field gradient of a Stern Gerlach magnet typically measured?

The field gradient of a Stern Gerlach magnet is typically measured using a probe with a known magnetic moment. The probe is passed through the magnet and its deflection is measured. By comparing the deflection to the known magnetic moment, the field gradient can be calculated.