Determine Joule-Kelvin coefficient for gas given equations of state

In summary: Can you show me your calculations?In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the values of alpha and cP in order to find the value of mu. The participants consider various equations and methods, including using the first law and fundamental equations for S, before arriving at the final values.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The equations of state of a gas are ##P=\frac{U}{V}## and ##T=3B(U²/NV)^{1/3}##. Determine ##\alpha## and ##\mu##.
Relevant Equations
##U##: internal energy; ##T##: temperature; ##\mu##: Joule-Kelvin coefficient; ##B##: positive constant; ##V##: volume; ##N##: number of moles; ##\alpha##: coefficient of thermal expansion; ##P##: pressure; ##c_P##: heat capacity at constant pressure.
Hi

##\mu=\frac{\alpha TV–V}{N c_P}##. So, firstly, I have to calculate ##\alpha## and ##c_P##. So ##\alpha=\frac{1}{V} \frac{\partial V}{\partial T}## at constant ##P##. I can write ##U=PV##, then I replace it in the equation of ##T##, solve for ##V## and then I differentiate with respect to ##T##.

Then, ##c_P=\frac{T}{N} \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}## at constant ##P##. Do I have to find the fundamental equation for ##S## using Euler and Gibbs-Duhem relations, or is there an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Then, ##c_P=\frac{T}{N} \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}## at constant ##P##. Do I have to find the fundamental equation for ##S## using Euler and Gibbs-Duhem relations, or is there an easier way?
Try using ##c_P = \frac 1 N \left( \frac{dQ}{dT} \right)_P## along with the first law.

TSny said:
Try using ##c_P = \frac 1 N \left( \frac{dQ}{dT} \right)_P## along with the first law.
Thanks! I have arrived to ##c_P=\frac{2T^2}{9B^3P}## and ##\alpha=\frac{NT^2}{9B^3P^2V}##. But when I replace this identities in the expression for ##\mu## I get ##\mu=0##

Like Tony Stark said:
Thanks! I have arrived to ##c_P=\frac{2T^2}{9B^3P}## and ##\alpha=\frac{NT^2}{9B^3P^2V}##.
I believe these are correct. They will simplify nicely if you use ##P=\frac{U}{V}## and ##T=3B(U^2/NV)^{1/3}## to express ##B^3## in terms of ##P##, ##V##, ##T##, and ##N##.

But when I replace this identities in the expression for ##\mu## I get ##\mu=0##
I don't get ##\mu = 0##.

What is a Joule-Kelvin coefficient for a gas?

A Joule-Kelvin coefficient is a measure of the change in temperature of a gas when it undergoes a Joule-Thomson expansion, where it expands into a region of lower pressure without performing any work.

How is the Joule-Kelvin coefficient determined?

The Joule-Kelvin coefficient can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of a gas as it undergoes a Joule-Thomson expansion at constant enthalpy.

What are the equations of state for determining the Joule-Kelvin coefficient?

The most commonly used equations of state for determining the Joule-Kelvin coefficient are the ideal gas law, van der Waals equation, and the Redlich-Kwong equation.

What factors affect the Joule-Kelvin coefficient?

The Joule-Kelvin coefficient is affected by the type of gas, temperature, pressure, and the equation of state used to determine it. It is also influenced by the intermolecular forces within the gas.

Why is the Joule-Kelvin coefficient important in thermodynamics?

The Joule-Kelvin coefficient is important in thermodynamics because it helps to determine the temperature changes that occur during expansion or compression of a gas without performing any work. This is useful in various industrial processes and in the design of refrigeration systems.