Inertia tensor v.s pincipal axes moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the inertia tensor from principal axes moment of inertia and how to reverse the calculation. It is explained that in the principal frame, the inertia tensor is diagonal and the off diagonal elements are zero. However, if there are non-zero off diagonal elements, the eigenvalue problem must be solved and the transformation matrix must be constructed to find the specific matrix.
kasoll
Is there a method to calculate inertia tensor form principal axes moment of inertia?
Like now we have moment of inertia: (Ix,Iy,Iz)=(20,18,25), and hot to calculate the inertia tensor like
(Ixx,Ixy,Ixz
Iyx,Iyy,Iyz,
Izx,Izy,Izz)?
I have read about this page several times, but still have no idea.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the principal frame, the inertia tensor is diagonal meaning that Ixy = Iyz = Izx = 0. So in this case you would write
$$I=\begin{pmatrix}
20 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 18 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 25
\end{pmatrix}$$Does this answer your question?

Likes anorlunda and kasoll
Principle axis of moment of inertia is the axis passing through centroid or center of gravity of body.

The moment of inertia of a figure about a line is the sum of the products formed by multiplying the magnitude of each element (of area or of mass) by the square of its distance from the line. So the moment of inertia of a figure is the sum of moments of inertia of its parts.

Now we know that the moments of inertia of a figure about lines which intersect at a common point are generally unequal. The moment is greatest about one line and least about another line perpendicular to the first one. A set of three orthogonal lines consisting of these two and a line perpendicular to both are the principal axes of inertia of the figure relative to that point. If the point is the figure's centroid, the axes are the central principal axes of inertia. The moments of inertia about principal axes are principal moments of inertia.

Likes kasoll
kuruman said:
In the principal frame, the inertia tensor is diagonal meaning that Ixy = Iyz = Izx = 0. So in this case you would write
$$I=\begin{pmatrix}
20 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 18 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 25
\end{pmatrix}$$Does this answer your question?
Thanks for the answer. But almost all the inertia tensor I have seen have non-zero valur as Ixy,Ixz,Iyz. I know to get principal axes moment of inertia from inertia tensor, which just looks like the one you mentioned.
But how to reverse the calculation? By multiply a matrix? And how to get the spercific matrix?

kasoll said:
Thanks for the answer. But almost all the inertia tensor I have seen have non-zero valur as Ixy,Ixz,Iyz. I know to get principal axes moment of inertia from inertia tensor, which just looks like the one you mentioned.
But how to reverse the calculation? By multiply a matrix? And how to get the spercific matrix?
If there are non-zero off diagonal matrix elements, then you solve the eigenvalue problem, find the eigenvectors and construct the transformation matrix ##T## from the direction cosines as explained on pages 8-9 in the reference that you quoted. Read it carefully. Equation (15) says that ##I'=(T)~(I)~(T)^T##. If you want to go back the other way, then ##(I)=(T)^T~(I')~(T)##.

Likes kasoll

1. What is the difference between inertia tensor and principal axes moment of inertia?

The inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass in an object, while the principal axes moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to rotational motion around its principal axes. In simpler terms, the inertia tensor describes the overall shape and distribution of mass in an object, while the principal axes moment of inertia describes how difficult it is to make the object rotate in different directions.

2. How are inertia tensor and principal axes moment of inertia related?

The inertia tensor is used to calculate the principal axes moment of inertia. The principal axes moment of inertia is found by diagonalizing the inertia tensor, which essentially means finding the directions in which the tensor has its largest and smallest values. These directions correspond to the principal axes of the object, and the moments of inertia around these axes are the principal axes moments of inertia.

3. Can an object have more than one set of principal axes and moments of inertia?

Yes, an object can have multiple sets of principal axes and moments of inertia. This is because the principal axes and moments of inertia are dependent on the distribution of mass in an object. If the object's mass is distributed differently, it may have different sets of principal axes and moments of inertia.

4. How does the inertia tensor affect an object's rotational motion?

The inertia tensor plays a crucial role in an object's rotational motion. It determines how the object's mass is distributed in space, which affects its resistance to rotational motion. If the mass is concentrated closer to the axis of rotation, the object will have a lower moment of inertia and will be easier to rotate. On the other hand, if the mass is distributed farther from the axis of rotation, the object will have a higher moment of inertia and will be more difficult to rotate.

5. How is the inertia tensor used in real-world applications?

The inertia tensor is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and robotics. In physics, it is used to analyze an object's rotational motion and understand its behavior. In engineering, it is used to design structures and machines that can resist rotational forces. In robotics, it is used to control the movements of robots and improve their stability and agility.