Determine the acceleration of the cylinder axis if there is no slip

In summary: By "x", I assume you mean the ratchet. Yes, I would expect you to need a force balance there in order to help determine the frictional force between ratchet and...cylinder.
Davidllerenav
Homework Statement
A ratchet runs through the surface of a large thin-walled cylinder so that if radius vector always forms, with respect to point ##O##, an angle ##\varphi## with the vertical. The mass of the ratchet is ##\eta## times smaller than that of the cylinder. Determine the acceleration of the cylinder axis if there is no slip.
Relevant Equations
##I=\eta mR^2##

So I first wrote the moment of inertia of the cylinder, since it says that it is thin-walled, I think that its moment of inertia is ##I=\eta mR^2##. After that I wrote the sum of torques, I think that there are three forces that cause torque, the two forces of friction, the one caused by the surface and the other between the ratchet and the cylinder and the projection of the weight of the ratchet. So I have ##mg\sin\theta R+Fr_1R-Fr_2R=I\alpha## The free body diagram of the cylinder gives me that ##N_1=m\eta g##, the free body diagram of the ratchet gives me that ##N_2=mg\cos\theta## thus I have ##mg(\sin\theta R+\mu R-k\cos\theta)=\eta m R^2\alpha##. Since ##a=\alpha R## I get ##mg(\sin\theta R+\mu R-k\cos\theta)=\eta m Ra##. After that I don't know what to do. I need to eliminate the two friction coefficients ##\mu## and ##k##. I also don't know how exactly the sum of forces on x for both bodies are behaving, can you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Davidllerenav said:
After that I wrote the sum of torques, I think that there are three forces that cause torque, the two forces of friction, the one caused by the surface and the other between the ratchet and the cylinder and the projection of the weight of the ratchet. So I have ##mg\sin\theta R+Fr_1R-Fr_2R=I\alpha##
If you are looking at torques on the cylinder alone then why should the weight of the ratchet count?

I am unclear what this ratchet looks like and what it is doing. It doesn't seem to be what I would call a ratchet. How is it staying at the same angle? Is something else exerting a force on it?

Is your I the moment of inertia of the cylinder about its centre? If so, why do you have a factor η in there? Isn't your m the mass of the cylinder?

haruspex said:
If so, why do you have a factor η in there? Isn't your m the mass of the cylinder?
m seems to be the mass of the ratchet. One can see it used in that way in the ##mg\sin(\theta)## term.

I have assumed some sort of motor or hamster wheel causing the ratchet to continually climb the sloping side of the cylinder to stay at its assigned angle.

haruspex said:
I am unclear what this ratchet looks like and what it is doing. It doesn't seem to be what I would call a ratchet. How is it staying at the same angle? Is something else exerting a force on it?

Is your I the moment of inertia of the cylinder about its centre? If so, why do you have a factor η in there? Isn't your m the mass of the cylinder?
I'm confused by the problem statement too.
I guess that it is moving up, so the cylinder is rotating with oposite direction.
No, m is the mass of the ratchet.

jbriggs444 said:
If you are looking at torques on the cylinder alone then why should the weight of the ratchet count?
Wouldn't its projection cause torque?

jbriggs444 said:
m seems to be the mass of the ratchet. One can see it used in that way in the ##mg\sin(\theta)## term.

I have assumed some sort of motor or hamster wheel causing the ratchet to continually climb the sloping side of the cylinder to stay at its assigned angle.
Yes, I think that's what its happening.

Davidllerenav said:
Wouldn't its projection cause torque?
The weight of the ratchet is a force on the ratchet. (I am regarding it as an opaque mechanism climbing the wheel). What you want is the force of the ratchet on the cylinder. But you have already captured the relevant portion of that as the tangential friction between ratchet and cylinder.

jbriggs444 said:
The weight of the ratchet is a force on the ratchet. (I am regarding it as an opaque mechanism climbing the wheel). What you want is the force of the ratchet on the cylinder. But you have already captured the relevant portion of that as the tangential friction between ratchet and cylinder.
So the only forces creating torque on the cylinder are the two frictions?

Davidllerenav said:
So the only forces creating torque on the cylinder are the two frictions?
Yes. [Assuming you've selected the reference axis down the middle of the cylinder]

jbriggs444 said:
Yes. [Assuming you've selected the reference axis down the middle of the cylinder]
Ok. Do I need to do the sum of forces on x?

Davidllerenav said:
Ok. Do I need to do the sum of forces on x?
By "x", I assume you mean the ratchet. Yes, I would expect you to need a force balance there in order to help determine the frictional force between ratchet and cylinder.

jbriggs444 said:
By "x", I assume you mean the ratchet. Yes, I would expect you to need a force balance there in order to help determine the frictional force between ratchet and cylinder.
Ok, thanks. Also, my teacher gave me the answer, it was somethin like ##a=\frac {g\sin\theta}{\eta\cos\theta}##, I'm not sure how the denominator actually was, but it had ##\eta## and ##\cos\theta## involved. Maybe this can help.

Last edited:
Davidllerenav said:
Ok, thanks. Also, my teacher gave me the answer, it was somethin like ##a=\frac {g\sin\theta}{\eta\cos\theta}##, I'm not sure how the denominator actually was, but it had ##\eta## and ##\cos\theta## involved. Maybe this can help.
[repaired LaTeX in quote]
A back of the envelope calculation gives me something along those lines... ##a=\frac{g \sin \theta}{\ mumble\ \eta \ mumble\ \cos \theta}##

I eliminated most of the algebra by choosing a particular reference axis to eliminate the torque from the floor and defining the system boundaries to eliminate friction between ratchet and cylinder. [I have gotten lazy in my old age -- solving simultaneous equations is too much work].

Then there is only one torque. Two places where a rate of change of angular momentum can manifest. And one equation to solve for a.

Last edited:

What is the meaning of "no slip" in this context?

In this context, "no slip" refers to the condition where the surface of the cylinder does not experience any slipping motion, meaning that the points on the surface of the cylinder maintain the same velocity and do not slide or rotate with respect to the surface beneath it.

How is the acceleration of the cylinder axis determined?

The acceleration of the cylinder axis can be determined using the formula a = αr, where a is the acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

What factors affect the acceleration of the cylinder axis?

The acceleration of the cylinder axis can be affected by factors such as the mass and shape of the cylinder, the surface conditions, and any external forces acting on the cylinder.

Why is determining the acceleration of the cylinder axis important?

Determining the acceleration of the cylinder axis is important because it helps us understand the motion of the cylinder and can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems involving rotating cylinders.

How is the no slip condition related to the acceleration of the cylinder axis?

The no slip condition is directly related to the acceleration of the cylinder axis because it ensures that the points on the surface of the cylinder maintain the same velocity, which in turn affects the angular acceleration and overall acceleration of the cylinder axis.