Determine the force exerted by the seat on the child at the bottom of the ride

In summary, the force exerted on the child by the seat at the bottom of the ride can be calculated as 1.057 times the child's weight (mg). To calculate the force causing the centripetal acceleration of the midway point, we need to consider the direction of acceleration in rotational motion and use the Standupmaths video as a resource.
Khaliya Ross
A child of mass m rides on a Ferris wheel as shown in figure (a). The child moves in a vertical circle of radius 14.5 m at a constant speed of 2.85 m/s.
6-ae-05.gif

Determine the force exerted by the seat on the child at the bottom of the ride. Express your answer in terms of the weight of the child mg.

I did
F= nbottom-mg=mac
F= mg + mac
F= mg( 1+ (mac/mg))
F= mg(1+ (ac/g)
ac=v2/r
F= mg(1+(v2/rg))
F= mg(1+(2.852/(14.5*9.8)))
F= mg(1+.057)
F=1.057mg

and I got this right.

Calculate the magnitude of the force on the child causing the centripetal acceleration if the ride is midway up the circle (on his way up). Express your answer in terms of mg.

I am confused in how to start this problem and what forces I should use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this should be in the homework section, rather than General Physics. Do you know what direction the acceleration it in, for rotational motion? In the meantime, you may find this Standupmaths video useful.

1. What is the formula for determining force?

The formula for determining force is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the force exerted by the seat on the child?

To calculate the force exerted by the seat on the child, you would need to know the child's mass and the acceleration of the ride. Then you can use the formula F=ma to find the force.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by the seat on the child?

The factors that affect the force exerted by the seat on the child include the child's mass, the speed and direction of the ride, and any external forces acting on the child, such as gravity.

4. How does the force exerted by the seat on the child change during the ride?

The force exerted by the seat on the child can change during the ride depending on the acceleration of the ride. When the ride is accelerating or decelerating, the force will change accordingly. When the ride is traveling at a constant speed, the force will also remain constant.

5. Why is it important to determine the force exerted by the seat on the child?

It is important to determine the force exerted by the seat on the child for safety reasons. Knowing the force can help engineers design and maintain the ride to ensure it is safe for riders. It can also help determine if the child meets the ride's height and weight requirements.