Determine the Forces in the Specified Members.

In summary, the problem is to determine the forces in members BC, CF, and EF of a loaded truss. The method of sections was used, resulting in a system with two L forces at E and D, as well as the forces of members BC, EF, and CD. The moment about point C was taken and an equation was formed, but the distance of CE could not be determined. Help is needed to find the distance of CE and solve the problem.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Determine the forces in members BC, CF, and EF of the loaded truss. Forces are positive if in tension, negative if in compression.

I have included an image

Homework Equations

ƩM = 0
ƩFy = 0
ƩFx = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little stuck on this one.

I tried using method of sections, whereby I drew a line through the middle of lines BC, CF and EF and then focused on everything to the right of that line. What this gave me is a system with two L forces, one at E and another at D as well as the forces of the members BC, EF and CD.

From here I tried to take the moment about point C,

ƩMC = 0

0 = -L(d) + EFcos(17)

however I ran into difficulty because I couldn't figure out what the distance of CE is.

Help would be appreciated

Attachments

• statics hwk 14 4.036.png
    statics hwk 14 4.036.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,661
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

Determine the forces in members BC, CF, and EF of the loaded truss. Forces are positive if in tension, negative if in compression.

I have included an image

Homework Equations

ƩM = 0
ƩFy = 0
ƩFx = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little stuck on this one.

I tried using method of sections, whereby I drew a line through the middle of lines BC, CF and EF and then focused on everything to the right of that line. What this gave me is a system with two L forces, one at E and another at D as well as the forces of the members BC, EF and CD.

From here I tried to take the moment about point C,

ƩMC = 0

0 = -L(d) + EFcos(17)(length of CE)

however I ran into difficulty because I couldn't figure out what the distance of CE is.

Help would be appreciated
It's just a bit of trig and geometry to find the distance CE. The length 'd' is known and a couple of the angles...find the vertical legs of triangles with side d and angle theta...draw a sketch...otherwise, your equation is good when you add your omission noted in red

1. What is meant by "determining forces in specified members"?

Determining forces in specified members refers to using mathematical and physical principles to calculate the internal forces acting on specific structural members or components, such as beams or columns, in a given system or structure.

2. Why is it important to determine the forces in specified members?

Determining the forces in specified members is crucial in understanding the overall structural behavior and stability of a system. It also helps engineers and designers ensure that the members are strong enough to withstand the expected loads and stresses.

3. What factors influence the forces in specified members?

The forces in specified members are influenced by a variety of factors, including the type and magnitude of external loads, the geometry and material properties of the members, and the support conditions.

4. What methods are used to determine the forces in specified members?

There are several methods used to determine the forces in specified members, such as the method of joints, method of sections, and the use of equations based on equilibrium and compatibility conditions.

5. Can computer software be used to determine the forces in specified members?

Yes, computer software such as finite element analysis (FEA) programs can be used to calculate the forces in specified members. These programs use complex algorithms and models to simulate the behavior of structures and determine the internal forces in each member.