Determine the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the table

In summary, the conversation is about various physics problems involving work, force, energy, and motion. The first few questions involve calculating the work done or force exerted in different scenarios. Next, there is a question about determining the kinetic energy of two carts moving in opposite directions. Then, there are questions about a particle's kinetic energy and speed at different points along its path. The next problem involves calculating the change in potential energy of a person taking an elevator. After that, there are questions about a bead sliding on a curved wire and a toy gun launching a projectile. Then, there is a problem about a child sliding down a playground slide and the mechanical energy lost due to friction. The last few questions involve power, impulse, and
cacaluch
Homework..urgent help

1.) If a woman lifts a 19.2 kg bucket from a well and does 6.83 kJ of work, how deep is the well? Assume that the speed of the bucket remains constant as it is lifted.
2.) A constant force of 38.3 N, directed at 26.9° from horizontal, pulls a mass of 12.1 kg horizontally a distance of 2.77 m. Calculate the work done by the force.
3.) A block of mass 2.30 kg is pushed 2.13 m along a frictionless horizontal table by a constant 18.2 N force directed 27.6o below the horizontal. Determine the work done by the applied force.

Determine the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the table.

Determine the magnitude of the force of gravity.
Determine the net force on the block.
4.) Two carts are moving along an air track at the same speed, but in opposite directions. Cart A has a mass of 250 g. Cart B has a mass of 750 g. The kinetic energy of cart A is 9.0 J.

What is the kinetic energy of cart B?

What is the speed of cart A?

5.) A 0.520 kg particle has a speed of 1.60 m/s at point A and kinetic energy of 7.54 J at point B. What is its kinetic energy at A?

What is its speed at point B?

What is the total work done on the particle as it moves from A to B?

6.) Calculate the change in potential energy of a 90.4 kg man when he takes an elevator from the first floor to 26th floor, if the distance between floors is 4.29 m.

7.) A 0.474 kg bead slides on a curved wire, starting from rest at point A as seen in the Figure below.

Assume h1 = 5.27 m and h2 = 1.12 m. If the wire is frictionless, find the speed of the bead at B.

If the wire is frictionless, find the speed of the bead at C.

8.)
The launching mechanism of a toy gun consists of a spring of unknown spring constant, as shown in the figure below.

If the spring is compressed a distance of 0.105 m and the gun fired vertically as shown, the gun can launch a 24.3g projectile from rest to a maximum height of 19.2 m above the starting point of the projectile. Neglecting all resistive forces, determine the spring constant.

Determine the speed of the projectile as it moves through the equilibrium position of the spring (where x = 0) (as shown in (b)).

9.)
The ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring that has a force constant of 1.15 N/cm (see the figure below).

The surface on which the ball moves is inclined  = 17.3o with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 5.53 cm, find the launching speed of a 0.130 kg ball when the plunger is released. Friction and the mass of the plunger are negligible.

10.)
A 30.0 kg child slides down a long slide in a playground. She starts from rest at a height h1 of 21.00 m. When she is partway down the slide, at a height h2 of 10.00 m, she is moving at a speed of 7.30 m/s. Calculate the mechanical energy lost due to friction (as heat, etc.).

11.)
What is the power when you do 140 J of work in 6 s?

12.) A car is stopped for a traffic signal. When the light turns green, the car accelerates, increasing its speed from 0 to 5.63 m/s in 0.872 s. What is the magnitude of the linear impulse experienced by a 69.3 kg passenger in the car during this time?

What is the average force experienced by the passenger?
13.) A 95.0 kg diver falls from rest into a swimming pool from a height of 4.70 m. It takes 1.60 s for the diver to stop after entering the water. Find the magnitude of the average force exerted on the diver during that time.

14.) A linebacker of mass 119.0 kg sacks a quarterback of mass 93.0 kg. Just after they collide, they are momentarily stuck together, and both are moving at a speed of 3.00 m/s. If the quarterback was at rest just before he was sacked, how fast was the linebacker moving just before the collision?

15.) High speed stroboscopic photographs show that the head of a 180 g golf club is traveling at 51.2 m/s just before it strikes a 45.2g golf ball at rest on a tee. After the collision, the club head travels (in the same direction) at 38.9 m/s. Find the speed of the golf ball just after impact.

16.) An 6.61g bullet is fired into a 230g block that is initially at rest at the edge of a table of h = 1.12 m height (see the figure below).

The bullet remains in the block, and after the impact the block lands d = 1.89 m from the bottom of the table. Determine the initial speed of the bullet.

17.) A bullet of mass m= 0.0240 kg is fired along an incline and imbeds itself quickly into a block of wood of mass M= 1.45 kg. The block and bullet then slide up the incline, assumed frictionless, and rise a height H= 1.25 m before stopping. Calculate the speed of the bullet just before it hits the wood. Note. The block is kept from sliding down the incline initially by as small peg (not shown).

Physics news on Phys.org

Is that all of your homework?

Are you thinking to have all of it done for you?

well i have a test coming up and i made my own study guide. these are question that i don't understand.

yea it would be nice if someone could tell me the answers the these questions just so i have a reference..if not, no big deal. I just want to be able to ace my test. Thank You!

cacaluch said:
yea it would be nice if someone could tell me the answers the these questions just so i have a reference..if not, no big deal. I just want to be able to ace my test. Thank You!

I don't think anyone is going to just give you the answers here... :uhh:

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts to support the weight of the object.

2. How is the magnitude of the normal force determined?

The magnitude of the normal force can be determined by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the normal force is equal and opposite to the weight of the object, so the magnitude of the normal force can be found by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. Does the normal force always equal the weight of the object?

In most cases, the normal force is equal and opposite to the weight of the object. However, if the object is accelerating or on an incline, the normal force may be different from the weight due to the presence of other forces acting on the object.

4. Can the normal force be negative?

No, the normal force cannot be negative. It always acts perpendicular to the surface and supports the weight of the object. If the object is on an incline, the normal force may be less than the weight, but it will still be a positive value.

5. How does the normal force affect an object?

The normal force is responsible for supporting the weight of an object and preventing it from falling through a surface. It also determines the amount of friction between the object and the surface, which can affect its motion.