Determine the partial pressure of gas at equilibrium

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the partial pressure of phosgene by subtracting its initial pressure from the total pressure using the ideal gas equation. The confusion arises from the stoichiometric ratios of the balanced equation not being 1:1:1, leading to different equilibrium pressures. The equation shows that for every x mol of phosgene that reacts, the resulting substances will have a ratio of y-x, x, and x respectively, which is not a 1:1:1 relationship.
ohms law
I figured out the answer to this already, but I wanted help on the reasoning behind it:
ScreenHunter_05 Oct. 19 17.29.jpg

In order to work out the problem we're supposed to determine the partial pressure of phosgene by subtracting 0.497 atm worth from the initial pressure of 1.31 atm (determined by using the ideal gas equation). My question is... why? I mean, if there's 0.497 atm of CO(g) and the stoichiometric ratios of the balanced equation are 1:1:1, then why aren't all three gases at 0.497 atm?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the stoichiometric ratios are not 1:1:1.

If they were, the equilibrium constant would be equal to 1/(partial pressure of any of the three gases) -- and that could not be a constant!

You need to think differently about what the meaning of the stoichiometric equation might be.

...huh?
If the balanced equation is [itex]CO_{(g)} + Cl_{2(g)} ⇋ COCl_{2(g)}[/itex], then how is the relationship not 1:1:1? The equation outright says that there's 1 mol of COCl2, 1 mol of CO, and 1 mol of Cl2.
:confused:

The next question is basically the same type of question, too:
ScreenHunter_06 Oct. 19 19.14.jpg

The first part of the answer is:
ScreenHunter_07 Oct. 19 19.14.jpg

So, I'm confused about the same thing here, essentially (well... very similar, at least). In the answer, the equilibrium pressures add up to 117% (0.66+0.34+0.17=1.17). I don't understand how that's possible.

If 34% of the initial gas dissociates, then 66% is still NOBr (that much we seem to agree on, at least). Doesn't that mean that 34% will be a combination of 1 part NO and 1/2 part of Br2? (because we're using percent compositions here) I'd think that if 66% is NOBr, then 22.666% would be NO, and 11.333% would be Br2.

ohms law said:
...huh?
If the balanced equation is [itex]CO_{(g)} + Cl_{2(g)} ⇋ COCl_{2(g)}[/itex], then how is the relationship not 1:1:1? The equation outright says that there's 1 mol of COCl2, 1 mol of CO, and 1 mol of Cl2.
:confused:

If you start out with y mol of phosgene, then what the balanced equation tells you is that when x mol of it react to produce carbon monoxide and chlorine, the number of mole of the three substances will be y – x , x , and x respectively. That is not a 1:1:1 ratio!

Related to Determine the partial pressure of gas at equilibrium

1. What is meant by partial pressure of a gas at equilibrium?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases at equilibrium. It is directly proportional to the concentration of the gas and is an important factor in determining the overall pressure of the gas mixture.

2. How do you calculate the partial pressure of a gas at equilibrium?

The partial pressure of a gas at equilibrium can be calculated using the ideal gas law. The formula is P = nRT/V, where P is the partial pressure, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume of the gas.

3. What is the relationship between partial pressure and mole fraction?

Partial pressure and mole fraction have a direct relationship. Mole fraction is the ratio of the number of moles of a gas to the total number of moles in the mixture, while partial pressure is directly proportional to the number of moles. As the mole fraction of a gas increases, the partial pressure also increases.

4. How does temperature affect the partial pressure of a gas at equilibrium?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the partial pressure of a gas also increases. This is because temperature is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of the gas particles, which in turn affects the number of collisions and thus the pressure exerted by the gas.

5. Can the partial pressure of a gas at equilibrium change?

Yes, the partial pressure of a gas at equilibrium can change. Any changes in temperature, volume, or the number of moles of a gas in the mixture will affect the partial pressure. This is why it is important to consider all of these factors when determining the partial pressure of a gas at equilibrium.