Ideal Gas Law solve for partial pressure

In summary, when 0.100 g of gaseous compound Q, containing only xenon and oxygen in a molecular formula of XeO4, is placed in a 50.0 mL steel vessel at 0 °C, the pressure is 0.229 atm. When the vessel and its contents are warmed to 100 °C, Q decomposes into its constituent elements (Xe and 2O2). Using the ideal gas law formula, the partial pressures of xenon and oxygen in the container at 100 °C are 0.313 atm and 0.626 atm, respectively. The total number of moles of gas in the vessel changes when the compound decomposes, resulting in 1 mole
Jef123
1. Gaseous compound Q contains only xenon and oxygen. When 0.100 g of Q is placed in a 50.0 mL steel vessel at 0 °C, the pressure is 0.229 atm. When the vessel and its contents are warmed to 100 °C, Q decomposes into its constituent elements. What is the total pressure, and what are the partial pressures of xenon and oxygen in the container?

2. Molecular formula = XeO4

3. I used the ideal gas law formula PV = nRT. I know that the moles (n), gas constant (R), and volume (V) are constant, so I can solve for the new pressure using the equation P1/T1= P2/T2. Rearranging to solve for P2 = 0.313 atm

Apparently 0.313 atm is the partial pressure for Xenon and 0.626 atm is the partial pressure for oxygen. I know that when the temperature is increased that the compound breaks into its constituent elements (i.e. Xe and 2O2) but what I do not understand is why would the equation I used to solve for pressure give me the partial pressure of xenon? I thought that 0.313 atm would be the total pressure of both gases in the vessel?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did the total number of moles of gas in the vessel change when the compound decomposed? How many moles of X were formed, and how many moles of O2 were formed?

Chet

Oh, so two moles of O2 were formed and 1 mole of Xe were formed. So i just needed to multiply the amount of moles by 2 to solve for O2. Thanks!

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

How do you solve for partial pressure using the Ideal Gas Law?

To solve for partial pressure using the Ideal Gas Law, you will need to know the total pressure, volume, and number of moles of the gas mixture. Then, you can use the equation P = nRT/V to calculate the partial pressure of each individual gas in the mixture.

What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure that a gas would exert if it occupied the same volume at the same temperature as the gas mixture. It is a measure of the individual contribution of each gas in a mixture to the total pressure.

What are the units for pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles in the Ideal Gas Law?

Pressure is typically measured in units of atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and moles in moles (mol). However, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent when using the Ideal Gas Law.

What are the assumptions of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles are in constant, random motion and that there are no interactions between the particles. It also assumes that the volume of the gas particles themselves is negligible compared to the volume of the container they are in. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law only applies to ideal gases, which do not exist in the real world but can be approximated under certain conditions.