Determine the resistance of an ammeter.

In summary, the problem involves an inductor in series with an AC source, with an output voltage of 260V and an ammeter reading of 2A. The ratio of the voltage across the ammeter to the voltage across the inductor is 5/12, and the goal is to find the resistance of the ammeter (neglecting the inductor resistance). By using the equation i=V/R and considering the phasor diagram, it is found that the voltage across the ammeter and the voltage across the inductor are not in phase, so they must be added as vectors to find the resultant voltage. The resistance of the ammeter is then determined by using the resultant voltage and solving for R.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

An inductor is connected in series with an AC source, the rms output voltage of it is 260V and a hot-wire ammeter reads 2A. If the ratio of the voltage across the ammeter to the voltage across the inductor is 5/12, determine the resistance of the ammeter. (Neglect the inductor resistance).

Homework Equations

1nxNk.jpg
[/B]
i=V/R (where i is the current, V is the voltage and R is the resistance).

The Attempt at a Solution

(Va is the ammeter voltage and Vl is the inductor voltage)
My result is not what in my textbook, could you explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:

Homework Statement

An inductor is connected in series with an AC source, the rms output voltage of it is 260V and a hot-wire ammeter reads 2A. If the ratio of the voltage across the ammeter to the voltage across the inductor is 5/12, determine the resistance of the ammeter. (Neglect the inductor resistance).

Homework Equations

View attachment 196344 [/B]
i=V/R (where i is the current, V is the voltage and R is the resistance).

The Attempt at a Solution

(Va is the ammeter voltage and Vl is the inductor voltage)
My result is not what in my textbook, could you explain why?
The voltage across the ammeter (UA) is not in phase with the voltage across the inductor (UL)
upload_2017-4-23_13-4-14.png

ehild said:
The voltage across the ammeter (UA) is not in phase with the voltage across the inductor (UL)
View attachment 196351
So, what should I do?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
So, what should I do?
Look at the picture, it is the phasor diagram of the voltages. The resistance of the ammeter is in series with the inductor. The voltage across the inductor is 90°ahead of the voltage of the resistor. You have to add the voltages as vectors, and the resultant voltage (the red vector) is equal to the voltage of the AC generator.

ehild said:
Look at the picture, it is the phasor diagram of the voltages. The resistance of the ammeter is in series with the inductor. The voltage across the inductor is 90°ahead of the voltage of the resistor. You have to add the voltages as vectors, and the resultant voltage (the red vector) is equal to the voltage of the AC generator.
You mean it will be like this?
exY0o.jpg

ehild said:
Exactly! You did it! :smile:
I checked my book and found it was the right answer. Thank you, ehild!

1. What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is an instrument used for measuring electric current in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of electrons through the circuit.

2. Why is it important to determine the resistance of an ammeter?

The resistance of an ammeter is important because it affects the accuracy of the current measurement. If the resistance is too high, it can alter the current flow in the circuit and give an incorrect reading.

3. How do you determine the resistance of an ammeter?

The resistance of an ammeter can be determined by connecting it in series with a known resistance and measuring the total current in the circuit. The resistance of the ammeter can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

4. What factors can affect the resistance of an ammeter?

The resistance of an ammeter can be affected by its material, length, and cross-sectional area. Additionally, the quality and condition of the instrument can also impact its resistance.

5. Can the resistance of an ammeter be adjusted?

In most cases, the resistance of an ammeter cannot be adjusted. It is typically designed with a fixed resistance value to ensure accurate current measurements. However, some modern ammeters may have the ability to adjust their resistance electronically.