Determine the value of the resistance R that will produce a current

It is a quick way to get 'I' in terms of R and constants ε and r, without having to solve for ε first.There are a few possible ways to proceed from there. In #13 above, I mention using the graph to get an idea of what is going on. From the graph, you may be able to see what value of R will give the maximum I without having to solve any equations. It's worth a try at least.
science.girl

Homework Statement

A battery with emf [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and internal resistance r is connected to a variable resistance R at points X and Y. Varying R changes both the current I and the terminal voltage Vxy. The quantities I and Vxy are measured for several values of R and the data are plotted in a graph, as shown above on the right.
a. Determine the emf [tex]\epsilon[/tex] of the battery.
b. Determine the internal resistance r of the battery.
c. Determine the value of the resistance R that will produce a current I of 3 amperes.
d. Determine the maximum current that the battery can produce.
e. The current and voltage measurements were made with an ammeter and a voltmeter. On the diagram below, show a proper circuit for performing these measurements. Use A to represent the ammeter and V to represent the voltmeter.

**Diagram is #4 from this link: http://mrmaloney.com/mr_maloney/ap/past-AP-tests/BII_91.pdf

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = IR + Ir
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know a battery is a constant source of emf.
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = IR + Ir
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = [tex]\Delta[/tex]V + Ir
From the diagram:
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = (4-2) + Ir

Help! What values do I use?

Physics news on Phys.org

The [tex]\Delta V[/tex] is the voltage drop across the resistor R, and not the total change of voltage when changing the resistace.

You know...
[tex]\epsilon = V_{XY}+Ir[/tex]

You also know [tex]V_{XY}[/tex] and I at multiple values. From those multiple values you can solve for [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and r.

nickjer said:
The [tex]\Delta V[/tex] is the voltage drop across the resistor R, and not the total change of voltage when changing the resistace.

You know...
[tex]\epsilon = V_{XY}+Ir[/tex]

You also know [tex]V_{XY}[/tex] and I at multiple values. From those multiple values you can solve for [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and r.

So, solve a system of equations?:

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = V_{XY}+Ir[/tex]
\epsilon = 4 + r
\epsilon = 3 + 3r

Therefore, r = 1/2 and \epsilon = 4.5?

Yes. You can even check your answers with the 3rd point on the graph.

nickjer said:
Yes. You can even check your answers with the 3 point on the graph.

Wonderful -- it works!

Now, for (c), the data on the graph shows that:
I (in Amps) of 3 corresponds to Vxy of 3 (Volts).

Would V = IR apply? Therefore, 3 = 3R; R = 1?

OR

I = ([tex]\epsilon[/tex])/(R + r); 3 = (4.5)/(R + .5) ... Oh! R = 1.

Is this method correct?

Both are correct.

Hmm... now, maximum current...
It seems as though there's already quite a few pieces of information that we have to work with. However, is there a more direct approach to finding maximum current (i.e., an equation specifically for max current)?

nickjer said:
Both are correct.

Thank you so much for your help, Nickjer. I appreciate it.

d. Determine the maximum current that the battery can produce.
I think the above statement is not correct. With the variable resistance in the external circuit, the power delivered by the battery changes. SO you can ask what is the maximum power delivered by the battery and when it is possible?

There is a maximum current. There are 2 ways I can think of to look at this.

1. Use the equation

ε = VXY + I r

Solve for I, and think about what value the variable VXY should have to give the maximum I.

2. Look at the VXY-vs-I graph. Theoretically, how far does the line extend? Hint: the answer is not "to ∞ in both directions".

(The graph method may help understand what is happening, but you'll still need to use the equation to get the answer.)

What Redbelly98 said is correct. Or you can use the equation you listed above:

[tex]I = \frac{\epsilon}{R+r}[/tex]

Since [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex] are fixed. What value of R will give the largest I. Since R is on the bottom of a fraction you want to find the limit that makes 'I' largest.

I like nickjer's suggestion, his equation (in post #11) is better to use than what I had said.

1. How do I determine the value of resistance R?

To determine the value of resistance R, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that R = V/I, where V is the voltage and I is the current. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current and then calculate the resistance using Ohm's Law.

2. What is the relationship between resistance and current?

The relationship between resistance and current is inversely proportional. This means that as the resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

3. How does the value of R affect the current in a circuit?

The value of R directly affects the current in a circuit. A higher resistance will result in a lower current, while a lower resistance will result in a higher current. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, where R = V/I. A higher resistance means that there is more opposition to the flow of current, resulting in a lower current.

4. Can the value of R be changed in a circuit?

Yes, the value of R can be changed in a circuit. Resistance can be changed by adding or removing resistors, changing the length or thickness of a wire, or using a variable resistor. Changing the resistance can also affect the current in a circuit, as described by Ohm's Law.

5. How can I calculate the power dissipated by R in a circuit?

To calculate the power dissipated by R in a circuit, you can use the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula is derived from Ohm's Law, where P = I * V and V = I * R. Power is measured in watts (W) and represents the amount of energy transferred per unit time.