Determine the x-intercept in terms of n

• Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary: I get that when the function is zero, the x-intercept is at ##u=0##, however when the function is not zero, what is the x-intercept for?
Saracen Rue
Homework Statement
Determine the exact value of the x-intercept in terms of n, where n>0.
Relevant Equations
I presume just some rearranging of equations.

Here's what the picture in the textbook looks like (it kept being too unclear when trying to take a picture so I had to replicate it on Desmos, however my replication is identical to the graph provided in the question.

As for the rest of the question... I'm completely stumped. I should note that this is a challenge question, but even still I can't work out anyway to solve for an exact answer for this because the only way for the funtion to equal 0 would be for arccoth(nx+2) to equal 0, however coth(0) isn't definied so there's no way to continue.

I know that the function definitely does have an x-intercept for every value on n>0 because when graphing it using Desmos and having n as a slider it shows that there is always 1 x-intercept.

However, even when I let n=1 and try to solve (for x when the function is 0) using Wolfram Alpha it says no solutions exist (see below image)

I'm really stuck with this one and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:
View attachment 241406
Here's what the picture in the textbook looks like (it kept being too unclear when trying to take a picture so I had to replicate it on Desmos, however my replication is identical to the graph provided in the question.

As for the rest of the question... I'm completely stumped. I should note that this is a challenge question, but even still I can't work out anyway to solve for an exact answer for this because the only way for the funtion to equal 0 would be for arccoth(nx+2) to equal 0, however coth(0) isn't definied so there's no way to continue.

I know that the function definitely does have an x-intercept for every value on n>0 because when graphing it using Desmos and having n as a slider it shows that there is always 1 x-intercept.

However, even when I let n=1 and try to solve (for x when the function is 0) using Wolfram Alpha it says no solutions exist (see below image) View attachment 241407
I'm really stuck with this one and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

If ##nx-1<0## then ##(+\infty)^{nx-1} = 0.##

Last edited:
scottdave said:
Perhaps think about what value of the Arcoth() argument would make it equation zero? http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicCotangent.html
I tried that, but when arccoth(nx+2)=0, nx+2=coth(0)=∞. This doesn't help with being able to solve for x in terms of n.

Ray Vickson said:
If ##nx-1<0## then ##(+\infty)^{nx-1} = 0.##
But to solve that for x you need to say ##log_{\infty}(0)=nx-1##, and ##log_{\infty}(0)## isn't defined so this doesn't help find x in terms of n.

I don't think that you need to take the log. Also, to be clear is the argument of Arcoth raised to the power? Or do you take Arcoth first then raise to the power?

Saracen Rue said:
I tried that, but when arccoth(nx+2)=0, nx+2=coth(0)=∞. This doesn't help with being able to solve for x in terms of n.But to solve that for x you need to say ##log_{\infty}(0)=nx-1##, and ##log_{\infty}(0)## isn't defined so this doesn't help find x in terms of n.

Of course not; you need to take limits. The symbol ##\infty## is just a shorthand notation for a limit.

scottdave said:
I don't think that you need to take the log. Also, to be clear is the argument of Arcoth raised to the power? Or do you take Arcoth first then raise to the power?
Sorry for the poor notation; it should be ##(arccoth(nx+2))^{(nx-1)}##

Ray Vickson said:
Of course not; you need to take limits. The symbol ##\infty## is just a shorthand notation for a limit.
Right, I'm still a bit confused as to how I could use limits to create a general relationship between x and n.

Saracen Rue said:
Sorry for the poor notation; it should be ##(\text{arccoth}(nx+2))^{(nx-1)}##

Right, I'm still a bit confused as to how I could use limits to create a general relationship between x and n.
That clarification is helpful.

One idea is to let ##u=nx##.

Graph ##(\text{arccoth}(u+2))^{(u-1)}## versus ##u##.

SammyS said:
That clarification is helpful.

One idea is to let ##u=nx##.

Graph ##(\text{arccoth}(u+2))^{(u-1)}## versus ##u##.
Hi, thank you for your help. After playing with the function more and I think I've worked out how to determine the intercept.

1. What is the definition of an x-intercept?

The x-intercept is the point at which a graph crosses the x-axis, or the value of x when y equals zero. It represents the value of the independent variable (x) when the dependent variable (y) is equal to zero.

2. How do you determine the x-intercept in an equation?

To determine the x-intercept in an equation, set the value of y to zero and solve for x. This will give you the x-coordinate of the intercept.

3. Can the x-intercept be negative?

Yes, the x-intercept can be negative. This means that the graph crosses the x-axis on the negative side of the coordinate plane.

4. How does the value of n affect the x-intercept?

The value of n can affect the x-intercept in different ways depending on the equation. In linear equations, a larger value of n will result in a steeper slope and a smaller value of n will result in a flatter slope. In quadratic equations, a larger value of n will result in a narrower parabola and a smaller value of n will result in a wider parabola.

5. Can the x-intercept have a fraction or decimal value?

Yes, the x-intercept can have a fraction or decimal value. This means that the graph crosses the x-axis at a point that is not a whole number. It is important to accurately plot these points on a graph to get an accurate representation of the equation.