Determining Acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB

In summary, the collar slides outward at a constant relative speed u along rod AB, which rotates counterclockwise with a constant angular velocity of 2π/3 rad/s. Knowing that r=10 in when θ=0° and that the collar reaches B when θ=90°, determine the magnitude of the acceleration of the collar P just as it reaches B.
marshall104
1. The collar P slides outward at a constant
relative speed u along rod AB, which rotates
counterclockwise with a constant angular
velocity of 2π/3 rad/s. Knowing that r=10 in
when θ=0° and that the collar reaches B when
θ=90°, determine the magnitude of the
acceleration of the collar P just as it reaches B.

I think... this is a planar motion problem using polar coordinates. (radial and transverse).

So my problem, as with most of the subject with physics and dynamics, is I'm not sure how to start this or where to start this.

What I need right now is a shove in the right direction. If I can get that then I think I can solve the problem. Right now looking for a hint.

Thanks.

no attempt at a solution thus far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi marshall104! :wink:

Assuming the rod is frictionless, the force on the collar will be purely tangential, so the radial acceleration will be … ? :smile:

radial will be zero? So I am thinking about this correctly?

Yup! :biggrin:

So what's the equation for arad = 0 ? :smile:

r double dot minus r*theta dot^2

I'm still not totally sure what that means...or how it pertains to this problem...Thanks!

Hi marshall104! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
marshall104 said:
r double dot minus r*theta dot^2

That's right :smile:

so arad = 0 means r'' = r(θ')2,

and you know θ' = 2π/3,

so r'' = (2π/3)2r … :wink:

So with that being said. I set up my polar coordinates, ur and utheta, and everything in utheta direction (tangentional) equals zero...? Right? Since the velocity u of the bar is constant that is why utheta equlas zero. Then the only thing I have to figure out is the ur direction for acceleration. Which is ar = r'' -( r)(theta')^2. Since ar equals zero that means r'' must equal (r)(theta')^2. And r is the position of the collar AB at theta = 90 And that is it! So the final answer is (20 in *( 2pi/3)^2. Well not exactly because I need to find the magnitude of the acceleration. Is this correct?

Sorry, but I'm not really understanding any of that.

What are ur and uθ? And why is uθ = 0?

And how do you solve r'' = (2π/3)2r ?

o.k now I'm more confused than I was before. I was under the impression that I had to use polar coordinates to solve this problem? Where we came up with the fact that r’’ = r(Ɵ’)2…? I attached a photo of the problem. Can we start from the beginning again. There is no tangential acceleration only radial correct? Arad is the acceleration in the radial direction...Which we said was equal to zero. Correct?

I really struggle with these problems. Thanks for all of your help.

Attachments

• iimage.jpg
    iimage.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:

(just got up :zzz: …)
marshall104 said:
…Can we start from the beginning again. There is no tangential acceleration only radial correct? Arad is the acceleration in the radial direction...Which we said was equal to zero. Correct?

That's right :smile:

[STRIKE]atang is given as zero, and arad has to be zero because there is no radial force.

So you know that r'' = (2π/3)2r, which you now have to solve.[/STRIKE]

ooops! :redface: … i think I've been answering the wrong question …

i was wondering, in my first post, why the question didn't say the rod was frictionless (which would be necessary for the tangential acceleration to be zero).

I've just read the question more carefully, and realized that the collar is forced to move at a constant radial speed r' = u.

so this isn't a physics question, it's just geometry. :rolleyes:

we needn't start again, though … our formula for arad (r'' - (2π/3)2r) is still correct, only we don't have arad = 0, instead we have r'' = 0 (because r' = u = constant).

So you're there … just plug the value of r into the formula for arad. :smile:

Sorry about the confusion. :redface:

Thanks Tiny Tim! Can I ask you another question? I have an answer I would like to have you go over it for me. Thanks :smile:

Find the equation of motion and the natural
frequency of the system shown (m and k1, k2, and
k3 are known). (Hint: The equation of motion will
have the formx&& +ω2x = 0 , where ω is the natural
frequency)

Here is my free body diagram.

K1 <= particle => k2
=> K3

My governing equations:
∑Fx = -kx1+ kx2 +kx3 = max => kx = mx’’
∑Fy = N-mg = may = 0
Ω2 = k/m = > Ω = sqrt k/m
Final answer: x’’ – Ω2 = 0

Is this close? :shy:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 391

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, that looks ok (apart from being almost unreadable! :rolleyes:)

Sorry about that. Thanks so much for your help Tiny Tim!

go Cougs!

Related to Determining Acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB

What is the formula for determining acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB?

The formula for determining acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB is a = (v2-v1)/t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

How do you measure the initial and final velocities of Collar P on Rod AB?

The initial and final velocities of Collar P on Rod AB can be measured using a velocity sensor or by recording the distance travelled and time taken to travel that distance. The velocity at any point can be calculated by dividing the distance travelled by the time taken.

Can the acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB can be negative. A negative acceleration indicates that the object is slowing down in the direction of motion.

What factors can affect the acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB?

The acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB can be affected by the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the friction present in the system. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object can also influence the acceleration.

How does the angle of the rod affect the acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB?

The angle of the rod can affect the acceleration of Collar P on Rod AB as it can change the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the object. If the angle of the rod is increased, the force acting on the object will increase and thus, the acceleration will also increase.