Determining functional relation of two dependant variables

In summary, the speaker has a pair of correlated datasets for temperature and conductivity of a solution collected in a lab. They are trying to determine the functional relationship between the two variables, but the temperature varies in an undetermined fashion. The speaker is looking for a method and possible resources for analyzing this type of data, where both variables are dependent on a third parameter (time). They mention using a regression with a polynomial or techniques like loess and cubic spline.
fsonnichsen
I have a pair of correlated datasets that I collected in the lab for temperature and conductivity of a solution vs time. I want to determine the functional relation between the two. (see attached plot-an interesting lead/lag in the phase difference).
If I were trying to determine this relation using for example a carefully controlled temperature I would just use a regression against some order of polynomial on the temperature (the relation is almost linear). However in the present case the temperature varies in an undetermined fashion.
There is a lot of literature out there for doing this when one variable is independent but I cannot find something for both variables dependent on some other parameter (time here). What is the method for doing this and perhaps some texts describing this (or matlab/octave routines for that matter)
Thanks
Fritz

Attachments

• cond.pdf
    94.2 KB · Views: 220
  • cond-scatter.pdf
    438.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen plenty of analyses that estimate relations between variables from observations where both variables were random. I am not aware of any reason for wanting one of the variables to be controlled, other than that where that is the case one can choose values for that variable in such a way as to eliminate sparsely-covered regions in the range of interest. Is there any reason not to just use a technique such as loess together with cubic spline?

What is the purpose of determining the functional relation of two dependent variables?

The purpose is to understand the relationship between the two variables and how changes in one variable affect the other. This can help in making predictions and identifying patterns in data.

What methods can be used to determine the functional relation of two dependent variables?

There are several methods, including regression analysis, correlation analysis, and experimental design. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of data.

What is the difference between correlation and causation when determining functional relation?

Correlation refers to a statistical relationship between two variables, while causation indicates a cause-and-effect relationship. Just because two variables are correlated does not necessarily mean one causes the other. Additional evidence and experiments are needed to establish causation.

How do you interpret the results of a functional relation analysis?

The results can be interpreted by looking at the strength and direction of the relationship between the two variables, as well as the statistical significance of the relationship. The type of relationship (linear, exponential, etc.) can also provide insight into the functional relation.

What are some limitations of determining functional relation of two dependent variables?

Some limitations include the assumption of a linear relationship, potential confounding variables that may affect the results, and the inability to establish causation. It is also important to consider the sample size and representativeness of the data.