Determining if a number is within an interval

• Thread starter rxh140630
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary: Next, since y > x, we have that ##yk + (1-k)x > xk + (1-k)x##. Therefore, yk + (1-k)x is in the interval [a,b]
rxh140630
Homework Statement
I can't see itex formatting, and if I made a mistake in formatting or not, for the homework statement section, so as to save time and any confusion I will write the question in the solution attempt.
Relevant Equations
none that I know
0<k<1
x<y
[itex] x,y \in {[a,b]} [/itex]
[itex]a,b \in {\mathbb R}[/itex]

Question: is [itex] yk + (1-k)x \in {[a,b]} [/itex]

My response:

[itex] yk + (1-k)y = y [/itex]

Since [itex] x<y[/itex], [itex] yk + (1-k)x < y [/itex]

[itex]xk + (1-k)x = x [/itex]

Since [itex] y>x [/itex], [itex]yk + (1-k)x > x[/itex]

Therefore [itex] x < yk + (1-k)x < y[/itex], so yk + (1-k)x is in the interval [a,b]

Is this considered proven? Did I miss anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
##yk + (1-k)y =y## makes no sense. This is not true for all values of ##k##. You must also require ##a < b##. Your goal is to show that ##yk + (1-k)x \in [a,b]## and you showed that ##yk + (1-k)x \in [x,y] \subseteq [a,b]## so I guess your attempt does contain the right idea, but the exposition can be better imo.

Math_QED said:
##yk + (1-k)y =y## makes no sense. This is not true for all values of ##k##. You must also require ##a < b##. Your goal is to show that ##yk + (1-k)x \in [a,b]## and you showed that ##yk + (1-k)x \in [x,y] \subseteq [a,b]## so I guess your attempt does contain the right idea, but the exposition can be better imo.

Sorry, yes also a<b. I don't understand why [itex] yk + (1-k)y = y [/itex] doesn't make sense? For all values of k s.t 0<k<1, yk + (1-k)y = yk + y -yk = y.

rxh140630 said:
Sorry, yes also a<b. I don't understand why [itex] yk + (1-k)y = y [/itex] doesn't make sense? For all values of k s.t 0<k<1, yk + (1-k)y = yk + y -yk = y.

I misread and misquoted sorry. It surely is correct. But that sentence is not necessary for your proof?

Perhaps not, just wanted to make sure that it's correct, regardless of elegance.

Your proof is valid. I would just encourage you to make it a little more step-by-step, like this:
Since x < y and k > 0, ##xk + (1-k)y < yk + (1-k)y = y < b##.

Likes rxh140630 and SammyS

1. How do you determine if a number is within an interval?

The most common way to determine if a number is within an interval is to compare the number to the endpoints of the interval. If the number is greater than or equal to the lower endpoint and less than or equal to the upper endpoint, then it is within the interval.

2. What is the formula for determining if a number is within an interval?

The formula for determining if a number is within an interval is: (lower endpoint) ≤ (number) ≤ (upper endpoint). This means that the number must be greater than or equal to the lower endpoint and less than or equal to the upper endpoint to be within the interval.

3. Can a number be within an interval if it is equal to one of the endpoints?

Yes, a number can be within an interval if it is equal to one of the endpoints. Inclusive endpoints mean that the endpoints are included in the interval, so if the number is equal to the endpoint, it is still considered within the interval.

4. What if the interval is open-ended?

If the interval is open-ended, then one of the endpoints will not have a specific value. In this case, the number must only satisfy the condition for the other endpoint. For example, if the interval is (2, ∞), the number must be greater than 2 to be within the interval.

5. Can a number be within multiple intervals?

Yes, a number can be within multiple intervals if it satisfies the conditions for each interval. For example, if a number is within the intervals (0, 5) and (3, 10), it must be greater than 0 and less than 5, as well as greater than 3 and less than 10, to be within both intervals.