Determining if the pH changes when a chemical is added

In summary: So in summary, adding a base to a solution increases the pH, while adding a strong acid to a solution decreases the pH.
JwdePhysics

Homework Statement

The question asks, how many of the following statements is/ are correct. I want to know which ones are right (I don't know the answer, but I will give a guess).
  1. BaCl2 added to an HCL solution does not change the pH
  2. NaBr added to an HBr solution will raise the pH.
  3. NaC2H3O2 added to a solution of HC2H3O2 raises the pH
  4. HNO3 added to Ca(NO3)2 lowers the pH.
  5. KNO3 added to an HCL solution does not change the pH.

Homework Equations

None necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Can someone tell me if my logic is right or wrong?
  1. 1 is correct because the Cl- ions are negligible bases.
  2. 2 is incorrect because the Br- ions are negligible bases so the pH shouldn't change
  3. 3 is correct because the C2H3O2- ions are weak bases and adding a base to a solution increases the pH.
  4. 4 is correct because HNO3 is a strong acid and adding a strong acid to a solution decreases the pH. (Does it matter that number 4 doesn't specify that it is a solution?)
  5. 5 I want to say is correct because KNO3 is a nuetral salt, but I am not sure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general and on a very basic level you are right. Wording of 4 could be better, but in general pH is a property of a solution, so if the Ca(NO3)2 were not dissolved in water it wouldn't make sense at all.

Sadly question is poorly thought, as it ignores some additional effects that you probably have no idea about as of yet, but which will be responsible for minute changes of pH even in those cases where the salts added are completely neutral and inert. Don't worry about it though, just be aware it is not a complete picture.

Likes JwdePhysics
I agree with Borek.I wondered what your three formulae in question 3 represented, but I'm guessing this is sodium acetate and acetic acid. Sodium acetate, salt of a strong base and weak acid is itself somewhat alkaline. Adding it to solution of a weak acid should increase the pH somewhat.Whereas in other cases where a salt like that is added to a strong acid the effect should be negligible.

1. How do you determine the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be determined by using a pH meter or pH test strips. The pH meter measures the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution, while pH test strips change color based on the pH level.

2. What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 14 being the most basic, and 7 being neutral.

3. How does adding a chemical affect the pH of a solution?

Adding a chemical to a solution can either increase or decrease the concentration of hydrogen ions, which in turn affects the pH level. For example, adding an acid will increase the concentration of hydrogen ions and decrease the pH, while adding a base will decrease the concentration of hydrogen ions and increase the pH.

4. What factors can influence the change in pH when a chemical is added?

The type and concentration of the chemical being added, the initial pH of the solution, and the volume of the solution can all influence the change in pH when a chemical is added. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of other substances in the solution can also play a role.

5. Why is it important to determine if the pH changes when a chemical is added?

The pH of a solution can greatly affect its chemical and biological properties. By determining if the pH changes when a chemical is added, we can understand how the chemical will interact with the solution and potentially impact its properties. This information is important for various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.